Monday, May 2, 2011

Jorden - Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I was sitting in Juliet’s room trying to figure out what had happened. Tyler saw me holding hands with Avery. He must know that didn’t mean anything, I just fell over and he was helping me up, that’s it.
“Why did this have to happen?” I groaned into my pillow. “So Small” was playing in the background and Letty and Mika were sitting beside me.
“If he thought that was a big deal he’s not even worth it,” Mika tried to console me, but for some reason it didn’t help. “He was just helping you up; Tyler shouldn’t be such a baby.”
“No, I would have done the same thing.” I said into my pillow, refusing to move my head. Juliet and Mika pulled me into a sitting position.
“No you wouldn’t have. You would have walked over there and asked. You don’t assume things Jorden, you get proof.” Juliet told me. I started to think about the events of tonight and realized they were right, like usual. They could see it on my face that they had won.
“Do you guys always have to be right?” I laughed.
“It just comes with the package.” Mika laughed and somehow we all got into a laughing fit. It was the single cheesiest moment of my life. Just then my phone made the ding dong sound that meant I had a text message. I picked up my phone and opened it. The text was from Tyler.

HEY BABE IM SORRY BOUT EARLYER I SHOLDNTVE OVERREACTED.

I showed the text to Mika and Letty and they just nodded. I hated how he never spelled words right and always used capitals.
            “You know, I don’t think I’m going to reply to him now, maybe later.” I shut my phone and grabbed a Twix bar from my candy pile to eat.
            I woke up the next morning with a sugar hangover. There were wrappers all over Letty’s floor and my head was pounding. I got up and tried to find the door to wash up. It must have been four in the morning. I walked and a few steps then tripped and came crashing to the floor. I groaned and whatever it was I tripped over grunted. I quickly got up and flipped on the light. I turned around and saw Mika rubbing her thigh; I must have tripped over her. Juliet was still asleep and had a Red Bull can barely propped up in her hand. There was a little drool on her cheek and she was snoring very lightly; seeing her like that made me laugh. Mika looked over and started laughing too, forgetting all about her bruised thigh.  Juliet woke with a start at our laughing.
            “Wh-What’s so funny?” She asked while yawning. She had a Cheeto stuck in her hair which caused us to laugh harder.
            “You!” Mika gasped between laughs. She pointed and Letty shuffled over to the floor length mirror. She saw her appearance and began to crack up.  I found the door and stepped out of the room and into the bathroom connected to her room. I flipped on that light and was again overwhelmed by how purple it was. The tile was white and so was the trim, but the rest was a light violet. I turned on the water and took a drink, then I splashed some on my face. It was kind of cold, but it felt good.  I washed my face and brushed my teeth. When I got back into Letty’s room the excitement had died down and they were just cleaning up the mess. I began to help and we finished up. We all fell down on Letty’s bed and fell asleep again.
            I was taking my drivers test, but it was weird. My instructor was Aqua and we were in Andrew’s 69 Camaro. Instead of cones I had to drive around, it was the people I cared about. I had to make it around Mike, Letty, Mika, Jamie, Alex, Autumn and many others. I had managed to avoid hitting any of them and even managed to park. But when I was backing up two figures had appeared behind me; they were Tyler and Avery. No matter which way I turned I was going to hit one. I closed my eyes and the car began to shake and buzz.
            I awoke with a jolt to find my phone buzzing. I looked down at the caller id and then opened it.
            “Hi mamma.” I greeted her groggily.
            “Hey baby, you girls have a fun night?” She asked.
            “Yeah it was great. How about you and dad?”
            “It was fun we ran into Jason and Victoria and then Adam and Kylie.” She informed me. Those were Juliet and Mika’s parents.
            “That’s fun.”
            “So where did you girls crash?” She asked. This is what she was calling for. My dad was a little overprotective and did this whenever I didn’t know where we were staying.
            “Letty’s.” I replied.
            “You girls want me to bring you something to eat?” She asked.
            “Yeah mom that would be great.”
            “Okay I’ll see you girls in about half an hour. I love you sweetie.”
            “Love you too mom. Bye.” I hung up my phone and looked at the other two. I woke them up and told them when my mom would be here. We all took quick showers and by the time we all finished the doorbell rang. We weren’t really dressed up, we just threw on some sweats. I ran to go get it and was greeted by my mom holding Starbucks and a box of donuts.
            “Hi mamma!” I hugged her and took the box of donuts from her.
            “So what have you girls been doing all morning?” She asked. We all bust out laughing and she just rolled her eyes at us. We all ate and drank our coffees and told stories from our nights. I ended up telling my mom about the situation about Tyler.
            “Oh darling.” She consoled while rubbing my back. “I’m sorry. Guys are very territorial. Believe me I’ve been married for… well let’s just say a while.” We all laughed as she said this. I knew for a fact they had been happily married for 21 years. “But guys do get jealous, don’t hold it against him. You should give him a call.” She told me and she was right.
            “Thanks mom.” After she left we went back up to Letty’s room. We sat down on her bed and Mika handed me my phone.
            “Call him.” She demanded. I nodded and started to dial his number. He picked up after the third ring.
            “Jorden?” he asked anxiously.
            “Yeah it’s me.” I told him.
            “Babe, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have freaked out like that. I know you don’t like that guy. I’m so sorry.”
            “I forgive you.” I had to cut him off; I knew he could apologize for a long time. “Hey do you wanna hang out today?” I asked. I knew this would reassure him about my feelings for him.
            “Yeah, I’d love to. When?”
            “Give me an hour?” I asked.
            “Alright, see you then. I love you.” I smiled, he almost never said that.
            “Love you too.”  After we hung up I looked over and Letty and Mika were smiling at me.
            “So I take it you are leaving us?” Mika asked.
            “Looks like it.” I shrugged smiling.
            “Go have fun babe.” Mika smiled and winked at me and I blushed.
            “I’ll drive you home so you can get ready.” Letty offered. She only had her permit and usually refused to drive us anywhere, but I didn’t live that far. We got into her new purple ‘08 Lexus and we piled in and she turned on the radio and “Low” by Flo Rida was playing like usual. I was already getting tired of this song and it was barely November. When we pulled up to my house “I Kissed a Girl” was playing, I was mad this song didn’t play first. I jumped out of the car and thanked Juliet for the ride. I ran inside and up to my room so I could get dressed. I ran over to my closet and swung the door opened. It was kind of cold outside so I decided to wear a plain white long sleeved shirt with my brown and pink plaid scarf, skinny jeans and my brown Ugg boots. I pulled my hair to the side and decided that I looked decent. Then a thought occurred to me; I had no ride there.
            “Shit.” I mumbled. I walked downstairs and looked out the window to see a purple car idling outside. I ran over to them and they were smiling.
“What are you guys still doing here?” I asked.
“How else would you get there?” Letty asked. “Hop in.” I hopped back in the car and they drove me over to Tyler’s.  I thanked her again and walked up to his door. I rang the doorbell and waited. Tyler answered and I smiled when I saw him. He was wearing faded blue jeans and Duke Sweatshirt, his light blonde hair was standing up a bit.
“Hi.” He sighed when he saw me and before I could say hi back he hugged me. He pulled me inside and closed the door with his foot. He started kissing me and somehow we ended up on the couch. I was on top of him and his hands were inching up my shirt. I shook my head no and he wrapped his arms around me instead. We stayed like that for awhile and when we finally broke apart for air he whispered in my ear.
“You look beautiful. I am a lucky, lucky boy.” I smiled and kissed him again. We heard keys in the door and immediately broke apart. I grabbed a magazine from the coffee table and he flipped on the TV. His mom walked in and gave us a strange look.
“Wanna watch a movie?” he asked. I nodded and set down my magazine that I wasn’t really reading. He turned on “The Benchwarmers” and there went my romantic mood. He put his arm around me while he laughed hysterically at the movie. After the movie he turned on Family Guy and we watched that until dinner was done. His mom had made lasagna and after dinner he drove me home and walked me up to my door.
“I had a nice time today.” He was looking me in the eyes and I could see how much he meant it.
“Me too.” I breathed. He hugged me and kissed the top of my head.
“Good night, I love you.” He mumbled into the top of my head.
“I love you too.” He kissed me and I watched him walk back to his car. He got in and waved goodbye. He was waiting until I walked back into the house. I walked in and it was completely dark besides the light coming from the TV; everyone was on the couch, watching a movie.
“What’s everyone watching?” I asked.
“The Ring.” Alex told me excitedly. She loved scary movies; I on the other hand couldn’t handle them.
“Oh… well in that case… I’ll be upstairs…” I ran up the stairs and could hear Alex laughing. I opened my door and saw something sitting on my bed. It was a CD with perfect handwriting on it that said “Just Listen” I smiled despite myself and put it in my stereo. The CD was silent at first and then I started to hear strumming and then I started to hear myself sing! I sat there listening to me sing “Tim McGraw” and Avery play the guitar. I stared open mouthed at my stereo. I couldn’t believe he had recorded it. I turned on my computer and uploaded it onto my iTunes. My IM popped up but I ignored it until I had fully uploaded the song. It took longer then it would have because whoever IMed me was impatient; my computer kept dinging. When the song was fully uploaded I clicked over to see who it was.

ThatAussieKid: Hey.
ThatAussieKid: Did you find it yet??
ThatAussieKid: Jorden?
ThatAussieKid: Hello?
ThatAussieKid: You know what I’m talking about right?

I laughed at how urgent he sounded. I could let him wonder more, but for some reason I felt like talking to him.

Jordylynn: Yes yes I’m here.
Jordylynn: and I know what you’re talking about.
ThatAussieKid: Did you listen?
Jordylynn: I did. I was almost expecting it to be blank.
Jordylynn: I’m assuming you read the book?
ThatAussieKid: That I did. It was… amazing.
Jordylynn: I told you so =P
ThatAussieKid: That you did. That’s why I read it; I knew you would be right yet again.
ThatAussieKid: Wait, stop sidetracking me. Did you like the cd?
Jordylynn: I really did. It’s great. Thank you Avery.
ThatAussieKid: I just wanted to show you that you have real talent.

I had never been called talented before and I could tell he really meant it. I felt embarrassed for some reason but I couldn’t really figure out why. My cheeks were filled with blood and my heart was pounding. What was happening to me?

Jordylynn: Aww thanks. =)
Jordylynn: You’re really talented too.

Now it felt awkward, I didn’t even know it was possible to feel awkward through a computer.

ThatAussieKid: Thanks Jorden, that really means a lot to me.
ThatAussieKid: Sorry I have to go now. You took too long to reply in the beginning and now Luke is kicking me off.
Jordylynn: Suck it punk. Haha
Jordylynn: Just kidding. I swear.

“Suck it punk”? What the hell was I thinking? Why would I say that to anyone let alone a proper guy? Sometimes it hurt how stupid I was.

ThatAussieKid: Haha like I haven’t heard that one before.
ThatAussieKid: I’ll talk to you later okay?
Jordylynn: Sounds like a plan.
Jordylynn: Adios.
ThatAussieKid: Bye.
ThatAussieKid has just signed off.

I sat there angry with myself for two reasons. One: I said things you are never supposed to say to a guy and two: I felt embarrassed because of Avery. I sighed aloud and then fell down onto my bed. I knew I had a pile of homework to do this weekend, but I couldn’t find the energy to do it. I reluctantly grabbed my backpack and took out my binder. I knew for sure that I had homework in Spanish, Math and I was pretty sure I had some in English and Multicultural Studies. I decided to start with the most difficult and work my way down. I pulled out my Advanced Algebra book, notebook and calculator. I did the first few problems and decided that I needed music, I grabbed the remote to my iHome and hit play; “Bubbly” began to play and I sang along and did the rest of my problems.
            “It starts in my toes, and I crinkle my nose, wherever it goes I always know that you make me smile, please stay for awhile now, just take your time wherever you go.” As I was singing though  I wasn’t thinking about Tyler and I felt guilty, I don’t really know who I was thinking about.
            After my math and Spanish homework I got back on my computer and started typing my essays for Wilson and Campbell. The one for Wilson was a lot easier than the one for Campbell. In Mr. Campbell’s class we have to write a paper in the perspective of an immigrant and we had to do an interview. I interviewed this Irish guy that my dad works with. He’s really cool, his name is Seamus and he told me all about his journey here from Ireland. I recorded it and took a bunch of pictures for my PowerPoint. Mr. Campbell said this project would determine your grade in his class for the semester and honestly I was feeling nervous. I sat down and began typing my interview. I wasn’t done for almost an hour and half and I had more than was required. I decided to take a break and headed downstairs.  When I got there Alex was in the Kitchen wearing an apron; no one ever wore aprons at my house.
            “Alex, what are you doing?” I asked slowly.
            “What does it look like?” She replied with an edge.
            “Standing in the kitchen wearing an apron.” She shot me a look and I smiled sheepishly.
            “No, actually I’m trying out this recipe we’re cooking tomorrow in class.” She told me as she glanced in the oven again.
            “How much longer?” I asked. It smelled really good; chocolaty with something else I couldn’t name.
            “It’s done.” She smiled and grabbed the pot holders and removed them from the oven.
            “What are they?” I asked and she put her finger up to her mouth to quiet me.
            “Chocolate soufflés.” She told me quietly. I nodded and wafted the air to me like we learned in science class.
            “They smell awesome.” I told her earnestly. She smiled. I went into the living room and sat down on the couch and flipped on the TV, I turned to Comedy Central and South Park was on. I turned it down so I wouldn’t ruin the soufflés. Cartman was yelling at Kyle when I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see Alex holding a plate with a soufflé on it.
            “Will you be my taste tester?” I smiled and took the plate from her. I grabbed the tiny fork and poked it into the soufflé, it was fluffy feeling. The taste was unbelievable and I was instantly impressed.
            “Alex, you are definitely going to win tomorrow.” I took another bite and she looked sufficiently satisfied. It felt wrong to be eating such an elegant dessert while watching South Park. I laughed to myself and continued eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment