Monday, May 2, 2011

Jorden - Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Things with Tyler and I were finally feeling like they used to; this was probably due to the fact that I had been trying to avoid Avery. After my birthday I had thanked Avery in person for his amazing gifts, but I couldn’t let Tyler know where they had came from, so really I was protecting Avery. I hadn’t talked to him in probably two weeks. In photo I always went off with Vanessa; the exchange student from Spain. He would either do his own thing or go off with Autumn. In Spanish I didn’t sit anywhere near him, so I was in no predicament to do partner activities with him. In a way I missed him, but I felt like my stress level was going down.
One day after soccer practice I was walking home; I had let Jamie take the car and I felt like the exercise would help keep my mood at ease.
“Jorden wait up!” I heard his voice call behind me. I turned around and sure enough it was Avery chasing me. He must have watched practice; I hadn’t noticed.
“Oh hey.” I said. He came up beside me and fell into step. He noticed my large practice duffle bag and removed it from my shoulder, in turn slinging it onto his. “What’s up?” I asked.
“Not to sound blunt, but are you avoiding me?” I stopped mid step to look at him. I guess I wasn’t being subtle about this. I turned to look at him and knew from the look on his face I couldn’t lie. I took in a deep breath.
“Sort of.” I admitted. I saw his face fall; I felt terrible. “But it’s not you, I promise.” I added hastily. He looked confused. “Well… it’s no secret that Tyler doesn’t like you.” I said, he nodded and I continued. “So… me not spending time with you makes him happy.”
“Why should it matter? He has friends who are girls. This is no different.”  He was right and I was hating it. “Why should you suppress your happiness for his?” He questioned. Was that what I was doing?
“I shouldn’t.” I said finally.
“Can I walk you home?” He offered. I nodded. We walked in silence for a while and I wasn’t sure what to do or say. My mind was racing.
“You looked really good out there.” He said suddenly. I looked at him confused. “I mean your playing.” He added awkwardly. I laughed.
“Oh thanks.” I told him. We were getting close to my house now and I wasn’t sure if he was going to come in or not. I was almost having a mini panic attack. I really didn’t want to run into Tyler. When we got to my door my fear had calmed down of running into Tyler; he must have had late practice. Avery handed me back my duffle bag and gave me a smile.
“Until we meet again Miss Connelly.” He said before walking back down my steps and in the direction of Luke’s house.
I walked inside my house and saw Alex and Skyler making out on the couch. The TV was on, but obviously neither of them were paying any attention. His shirt was off and on the floor and she was only wearing her bra. Neither of them had noticed me enter the living room and it was getting awkward. I cleared my throat and both their heads whipped around to stare at me in surprise. The blood rushed to Alex’s face and she looked mortified.
“Oh my god.” She breathed She pulled the throw off the back of the couch to cover up.
“Oh… hey Jorden.” Skyler said uncomfortably. I smiled awkwardly and waved. “We were just-” I held up my hand to stop him.
“I don’t need details.” I went up to my room and closed the door. I decided to play “Forever and Always”. There was just something about this song that I kept coming back to. I sat down and decided I better finish up my essay about Brave New World. To be honest, this book confused the crap outta me. But once we started discussing it in class it all started to make sense. My essay was all about the caste system. Once I finished that I decided to get a head start on my extra credit Spanish vocab. I had gotten about halfway through the list when there was a knock at my door. Alex poked her head in, I saw that she was now fully dressed, but her face was still flushed.
“Hey can I talk to you? It’s kind of serious.” I nodded and she walked in and sat down on my bed. I closed my notebook so I could give her my full attention.
“So… what you saw back there,” She started. I shook my head.
“You don’t need to explain. Really, I get it. He’s your boyfriend and you love him and it’s a great time to take advantage of the time alone you guys have.”
“No but I mean if you hadn’t walked in…” She left her sentence hanging there. It took me a second before I really understood what she was saying.
“Oh…” I said awkwardly. I really didn’t know what else to say. This was big. She was only fifteen, almost sixteen and she was already thinking about this.
“I went to planned parenthood the other day. I started the pill.” She said.
“Oh my god.”
“Jorden I’m serious about this and besides Aqua, you are the only one who knows. I know I’m young and crazy but honestly, I can’t see myself with anyone else.” She had a point; her and Skyler were perfect together and it was her choice in the end.
“Wow.” I started. “You know, as long as you are sure about this I’m here to back you up all the way; no matter what happens.” I told her. It was sad though; even the idea of her having sex scared the crap outta me.
“Thank you Jorden, I really needed to hear that.” She gave me a hug and then walked out of my room. I sat there pondering my thoughts about sex and boys. Why didn’t I feel ready with Tyler like Alex was with Skyler?

            I heard that there was a party at Jason Randall’s house. Jason was notorious for his epic parties. He always threw ragers. He was rich and had his own private pool and built in bar. His parents were always going on vacation and leaving him by himself. We had no school due to snow and icy conditions. I had called Tyler to see if he wanted to stay in and drink cocoa and watch a movie, but he had said he had to stay home and babysit his little cousin Ashley. I saw Alex come downstairs in a jean skirt and a really cute black tank top. Her makeup was really intense, but it suited her.
            “Why so fancy?” I asked eyeing her suspiciously. “You have a date with Skyler?” She hopped down the last two stairs and walked into the living room.
            “No sir. I’m going to Jason Randall’s raging party.” She said fixing her lipgloss. I raised my eyebrow at her.
            “Really? Why?” she shrugged.
            “Just ‘cause it kinda sounds fun. You should come.” She said. I shook my head.
            “It’s not really my thing, despite popular opinion.” I added bitterly. Alex smiled.
            “Why? ‘Cause you have so many more important things to be doing.” She gestured to the TV where I was watching an episode of Throwdown.
            “Hey he’s showing us how to make a Cubano!” I protested. Alex rolled her eyes. She grabbed my arm and pulled me up off the couch.
            “You’re coming, plus I need a ride.” She dragged me upstairs and to my closet. She decided on my black skirt, my pretty pink top and my black heels.
            “Heels really?” I questioned. Alex shrugged.
            “The Facebook event said formal-casual. A little contradicting if you ask me…” She trailed off. I shrugged and grabbed the keys to the Yukon and slid them into my black purse. No one was home, everyone was on dates; Mom and dad, Mike and Alexis, even Jamie was out with Xzavier; her latest skater boy endeavor. We went into the garage and loaded up into the Yukon. I checked the mirrors and adjusted the seat I was about to start the car when I looked over at Alex.
            “I actually haven’t ever driven in the snow before.” I admitted.
            “Now’s as good a time as any; Let’s go.” I cranked the engine and turned up the radio; Paramore was on. Alex started belting out all the words and tweaking out. I laughed and drove down to the rich neighborhood. I had to park way down the street from his house; both sides were packed.
            “Alex are you sure the car is going to be okay.” She took another glance back.
            “Yeah it’ll be fine.” She reassured me.
We walked up the street and up the steps to his extravagant house. Alex turned the knob and walked in the door, I followed timidly behind her. The scene was something right out of Mean Girls. There were people dancing and drinking everywhere. On the table in the far back of my sight I could see the table was covered with chips and dips and all sorts of things. There was a group of guys playing football in the house. The loud music was blaring out of every corner of the house; it was making the walls vibrate.
“I’m grabbing a girl beer, you want one?” she asked. I shook my head.
“Probably shouldn’t, I still have to drive.” She nodded and went to grab one. I took this as my chance to explore Jason’s ornate house. I ducked under the boys playing football and headed down the hall. All around his house I saw priceless art pieces and expensive looking objects; it reminded me of Aqua’s house. I saw a couple making out in the corner. I could only see the top of the guy’s head. He had blonde hair and was apparently wearing a blue sweatshirt. In his hand was a beer bottle. The girl was tall with long dark hair. Her whole body was pressed against the guy and her hands were going through his hair. It was awkward just watching so I tried to maneuver around them; the air stank like alcohol and pot. I held my breath as I walked by, not paying them another glance. In the next room I went into I saw a guy doing body shots off of Alyssa Tayler; the school slut. He looked up when I entered the room; the guy was Aaron Simpson; our star quarterback.
“You want in?” Aaron asked gesturing to where Alyssa was. I shook my head and walked out slightly disgusted. I went back down the hall and past the couple making out. In the corner of the house I saw a group of guys passing around a giant bong. I rolled my eyes and went into the kitchen. In the kitchen there was a group of six people playing beer pong; it was boys vs. girls. I saw that Alex was up. She bounced the ping-pong ball off the table. I watched as Ryan Edwards attempted to catch it. He missed and the ball soared into the middle cup with a small splash. Alex jumped up and cheered.
“Drink up Edwards!” She called. He sighed and gulped down the beer. Alex seemed to have finally noticed me.
“Hey cousin.” She said with a dopey kind of smiled. I eyed her suspiciously.
“How much have you drank?” I asked. A small smile spread across her face.
“Too much to drive, but not enough to fail at this.” She said gesturing to the game. I gave her a stern look. She laughed. “Don’t worry mom, I’m totally coherent. You can tell because I just used the word ‘coherent’ in a sentence.”  I rolled my eyes at her and she gave me a broad grin. The guy with the blue sweatshirt had just entered the kitchen and I noticed with a jolt that it was Tyler.
“No fucking way.” I said. I hadn’t realized I had said it aloud. His head whipped around so fast at the sound of my voice.
“Shit Jorden! You scared me.” My heart dropped down into my stomach at the realization of what was going on; Tyler was cheating on me. As he walked towards me I noticed his eyes were bloodshot; probably from the amount of pot and alcohol he indoubtably consumed. He tried to wrap his arm around me and I shoved him, hard.
“What the fuck Tyler?” He took a step back.
“Jorden let’s not do this here.” He said calmly. How dare he tell me to calm down. I tried to storm off into the other room and he grabbed my arm.
“Jorden wait.” I spun around and slapped him.
“Don’t fucking touch me.” I said through my teeth. I must have scared him because he instantly let go. Alex, picking up on my mood, followed me out the door and back to the car. She had to run after me. I could feel the angry tears spilling down my cheeks. I slammed the door to the Yukon and rested my head on the steering wheel.
“Jorden what the hell happened?” My phone started blaring Tyler’s ringtone and I threw it to the back of the Yukon. It hit just below the window and the battery popped out; it was instantly silent. I wanted to scream. Before this situation got any worse I started the car and drove to my house in a rush. I was going about 60 and Alex looked terrified; the roads were still kind of icy, but I could’ve cared less. I slammed my door and stormed into my room. I screamed into my pillow until Alex walked in and sat down on my bed. “Jorden talk to me.” The tears were hot on my face, I needed to calm down. I took a couple deep breaths to calm myself and stabilize my voice.
“Tyler is fucking cheating on me and pretty much the entire school knew.” Alex’s face turned from concern, to disgust, to rage all within a second.
“That fucking asshole.” She snarled.
“Who?” Mika was standing at my door.
“How the hell did you get in here?” I asked surprised. She had a faint smile, but I could see the worry on her face.
“I have a key. Plus when I saw you speed into the garage, slam three doors and yell I figured something was wrong; we share a lawn you know. So I tried calling your cell, but it was off and you wouldn’t answer the home phone. So I repeat, who is a fucking asshole?” she sat down next to me and rubbed my back which in turn calmed me down more. I was able to tell both of them about seeing the couple in the hall making out and then about the realization that it was Tyler. Mika’s jaw dropped as the story went on. By the end the tears had returned and my voice was cracking. Mika pulled me in for a hug. I cried on her shoulder until Mike came in. I watched as he took in the situation.
“I’m going to fucking kill him.” He said not needing any verification. I got up and ran after him. I grabbed his shoulder and stopped him. His face was red with anger.
“Mikey don’t, it’s okay.” He shook his head vigorously.
“What did he do to you? Did he hurt you?” he asked suddenly. His hands were on my shoulders and he was looking me over intently.
“No Mikey, it’s not a big deal.” I noticed his arms were shaking a little.
“If it wasn’t a big deal you would be crying.” He stated. I shook my head, ready to protest it. “No Jorden don’t try to cover up his mistakes anymore. He’s a fucking douche who’s about to get his ass kicked.” He stormed down the stairs before I could stop him.
“Shit,” I said. I walked back into my room. Alex and Mika gave me questioning looks. “Mike is going to go beat up Tyler.”
“Good, little bastard deserves it.” Alex said. I shook my head.
“He shouldn’t get involved. It’s not his problem. I don’t want to make a bigger deal about this than it already is.” Mika, understanding exactly what I meant, got up and chased down Mike to stop him. She came back about twenty minutes later.
“Okay he’s not going to go beat him up, but he’s still way pissed.” She said coming in and sitting down on my bed.
“How the hell did you do that?” Alex asked in astonishment. Mika shrugged.
“They’re still secretly in love, so they respond to each other like that.” I explained. I felt better talking to Mika and Alex about the Tyler incident, and even though it had only been a couple hours since it happened, I was starting to feel better. It was nice to take the focus off of me. Mika made a face at me.
“I do not secretly love Mike.” She protested. I laughed. “I don’t!” She exclaimed.
“The lady dost protest too much, methinks.” I said quoting Shakespeare. It was something I had picked up from Letty. Mika slapped my arm.
“Enough.” She said, to which Alex started sniggering.  Mika stayed over and it helped keep my mind off my real problem.

The next morning I awoke to find my phone, battery intact, sitting on my bedside table. I sighed and turned it on; I had five new messages and ten text messages. I skimmed through the messages; they were all Tyler trying to explain himself and apologizing. I listened to the messages, four of them were from Tyler and one was from Mika telling me that she was worried and if I didn’t answer my phone she was going to come over. After listening to his last message; he seemed sincere. I needed to clear my head some more. I looked over and saw Mika passed out on my bed. Mollie was curled up next to her; it was cute. Before I left I made sure to take out my camera and take a picture of them. I grabbed my running things and my iPod before leaving. I started with the song “Forever and Always” as I ran; at the moment it matched my mood perfectly. I ran until it hurt to breathe and then some. I ended up running down by the river and resting on a rock. I sat there for awhile trying to get my thoughts together. After maybe twenty minutes of sitting I decided it was probably time to head back. I was still fatigued from my long run, so I just walked back. I looked down at the slush and was amazed that I hadn’t slipped while running; the universe must be cutting me some slack. Just as I thought this I slipped on a sheet of black ice.
“Shit.” I mumbled at I fell. “Just my luck.” I was about to get up when I saw him; again. He stuck out his hand and pulled me up.
“I must ask, what possessed you to be out at this hour in this weather?” I glanced down at his watch and saw it was 8:30; I must have left early.
“Long story.” I replied. He raised his eyebrow at me, but didn’t question it further.
“You must be freezing.” He stated. I was only wearing shorts and a tank top, now that the adrenaline had worn off I was definitely cold. I saw him shrugging out of his warm looking jacket.
“No you don’t have to.” I protested. He waved it off and wrapped the jacket around my shoulders. “Thanks.” I said.  It smelled like him; but I couldn’t figure out any distinct smells. It wasn’t stated, but he ended up walking me to my house. Outside sitting on the porch was Tyler.
“I’ll leave you two alone.” Avery said. I was about to remove his jacket when he shook his head. “It’s okay I’ll pick it up another time.” He said then walked away. I walked up to Tyler, who stood up at my approach.
“What are you doing here?” I asked.
“Listen Jorden, let me explain,” he started. “Last night was a mistake. I was drunk and high and not thinking clearly.” He explained.
“That’s really not an excuse Tyler.”
“I know, I know and I’m not trying to make an excuse. I fucked up and I’ll admit it, but Jorden, I really don’t want to lose you. I want to know if somewhere within you, you could find it in your heart to forgive me?” I let his words sink in, all the while wondering how true they were.
“I’m not sure yet.” I admitted. He nodded; this was what he had been expecting.
“Fair enough. So… I’ll talk to you later?” he asked. I shrugged.
“I guess.” I told him. He looked like he was going to hug me, but changed his mind, probably remembering last night. I watched him leave in his Jeep and then walked into my house.
            Inside both Mika and Alex were watching out the window. When they heard me approach they spun their heads around to look at me.
            “So what happened?” Mika asked. I shrugged.
            “He apologized.” I said simply.
            “And?” Alex urged.
            “I said I’d think about it.”
            “Please don’t tell me you’d take that bastard back?” Alex said. I shrugged. I really didn’t know what to do.
            “Why were you with Avery?” Mika asked suddenly. I felt a little color rise to my cheeks.
            “I slipped on the ice and he helped me up and gave me his jacket.” I admitted. Mika just nodded.
            “What a gentleman…” Alex mused. I shot her a look and she smiled. “What? It’s true.” I rolled my eyes as I went up to my room and turned on my iHome; I really wanted to forget the world and get lost.



A few weeks later I learned this to be impossible. I was walking down the hall to Spanish when I heard. There were two freshman girls at their lockers and they kept staring at me and going back to whispering. As I walked by I heard one of them say: “Do you think she knows?” The other shook her head.
            “No not yet. Her eyes aren’t red.” I assumed they were talking about Ryan’s party from a few weeks ago so I shrugged it off. But then I heard the word and froze. I walked up to them.
            “Excuse me?” I asked.  Both their faces flushed.
            “Nothing.” They mumbled. I shook my head.
            “No, repeat what you just said.” I demanded. Neither of them would speak a word.
            “I am not pregnant.” I clarified. “Where the hell did you hear that?” The girl frantically shook her head.
            “No not you being pregnant.” She stammered.
            “You were whispering and staring at me. If you weren’t talking about me-” I stopped midsentence. The comment one of them made about me knowing flashed into my mind followed by how I don’t have red eyes from crying.
            “Fuck.” I gasped. I turned from the girls and marched down the hall to find Tyler. He was standing with some of his football buddies. I saw the dark haired girl sitting close by; watching him. I walked right up to him.
            “Hey babe.” He said. He was about to pull me towards him when I smacked him. It echoed in the hall and I saw the girl in the corner gasped. He had a confused and shocked look on his face.
            “Don’t talk to me. Ever. I’m done. We’re done. So you can go have fun fucking her some more.” I nodded my head towards the girl. “Oh and good luck with the baby.” I added to her before storming out the double doors and out to the car. I was trying to hold my composure as I walked by people, but I knew I was losing it. I slid down the side of my car and leaned against the tire. I leaned my head in my hands and just cried. I felt my phone buzz and it was Letty. She wanted to know why I wasn’t in Spanish. I told her I’d tell her later she just had to meet me after school at my house. I wanted to drive home, but didn’t think I would make it there in one piece. I’m not sure how much time had passed before Mike found me. He had nothing but concern and rage on his face.
            “Are you okay?” He asked after a minute. I nodded but it didn’t convince him. He stuck out his hand and pulled me up and into a hug. I noticed his hand looked bruised.
            “I take it you heard.” I said. I felt him nod. “And?” I heard Mike sigh.
            “I’m suspended for three days for punching him.” He admitted. “That’s why I’m out here. Mom’s on her way to get me.” I nodded. “You going to anymore classes.” I shook my head.
            “I don’t think I can deal with it.” I admitted.  I looked and saw mom pulling into the parking lot; she looked angry. I quickly crawled in the back as Mike got in the passenger side.
            “Suspended? Michael Robert really?” My mom’s voice rang in the car.
            “Well yeah, I wasn’t going to let him get away with it!” Mike yelled. Mom raised her eyebrow.
            “Get away with what?” That seemed like the moment she noticed me in the car with them. “Jorden what happened?” She asked cautiously, Mike spoke for me.
            “That fucking asswipe impregnated some slut at school! He cheated on my sister. He deserved way more than what he got.” I saw my mom’s face fall.
            “Oh honey.” She turned around and brushed my hair back. “Are you okay?” I didn’t respond. She started the car and drove off.  A bit later, I felt her turn the car off. I looked to see that we were at Coldstones. I was instantly having déjà vu moments from when I was 12 and 13. After those girls had started the rumors and I had come home crying my mom would grab her keys and take me to Coldstones. We would walk around and talk; by the end of the trip I almost forgot why I was upset.
            “Why are we here?” Mike asked confused.
            “To get ice cream.” My mom stated. I sat up and unbuckled my seatbelt.
            “I punch a kid in the face, break his nose and give him a black eye and I get ice cream?” Mike questioned. I saw a faint smile on my mom’s face.
            “You defended your sister’s honor. Yes you get ice cream.” She got out of the car and we followed suit. My mom pulled me close to her and I instantly felt better. Inside my mom already knew what I was going to be getting.
            “Hi can I get a waffle cone of the peppermint please?” She asked. She scooped it up and handed it to me. “Here you go sweetie.” I smiled and thank her. I sat down in the corner near the window and watched the cars pass. Mike came up next to me. His ice cream looked like a disaster; there were mix-ins everywhere.
            “My god Mikey, how are you going to eat that monstrosity?”  I asked. He grinned.
            “Like this.” He said taking a bite. I rolled my eyes at him. Mom came and joined us with her usual scoop of cake batter with mixed in strawberries.
            “So really honey, how are you feeling?” My mom asked.
            “My hand kinda hurts.” Mike said taking another large bite of his ice cream.
            “Not you idgit.” She looked over at me. I shrugged.
            “I’ve definitely been better.” I said unsure of how I was really feeling. My mom’s face showed nothing but compassion.
            “Honey it’ll get better.” I nodded and took another bite of my ice cream. I think she knew somehow that I really didn’t believe her. I honestly didn’t know how things could possibly get better. My boyfriend who I loved not only cheated on me and denied it, but he also accused me of it and on top of all of that, got the girl pregnant. What the hell do you do in that situation? My mom continued trying to make me feel better, but my brain wasn’t processing it. On the ride back to the house I sat with my head pressed against the window. Once we got home I went up to my room and closed the door. I cried myself to sleep with all the best breakup songs I could find, which in turn just made me cry harder.

I didn’t go to school the next day or the day after. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I knew people would be talking about me and I didn’t want people staring at me. I laid in my bed most of the day with my shades closed. Mollie would come in and lay next to me. I passed out a lot throughout the day; there was nothing else to do. My appetite was gone and I didn’t feel like moving. My phone rang, but I didn’t bother answering it.
            Later, I awoke to bright light. I covered my head with my comforter, but it was yanked off my head.
            “Up.” A voice commanded. I rolled over and placed a pillow over my head; it was ripped away.
            “We refuse to let you stay here and mope. Come on.” Mika grabbed my arm and pulled me up.
            “I don’t want to go anywhere.” I mumbled.
            “Friends don’t let friends mope about a guy, especially one like Tyler.” Letty said. I noticed Mika was rifling through my closet. She tossed my Fox sweatshirt and a pair of jeans onto my bed.
            “Wear this.” She demanded. I raised my eyebrow at her.
            “Where are we going?” I asked. Her face relaxed, seeing that I was agreeing with her.
            “That’s for us to know and you to find out. So hurry up will ya?” I sighed reluctantly and got dressed. I made a stop in my bathroom so I could wash my face; it was red and puffy from crying. I put on a little eye liner and mascara so I didn’t look so dead. I trudged downstairs to find Letty and Mika sitting on the couch waiting for me. I made sure to silence my phone before leaving.
            “And away we go.” Letty said with a smile.


I was surprised when we pulled up to the Bowling Alley. But I didn’t question it as we got out and entered the place. It was dark, but I noticed a disco ball above; cosmic bowling. I rolled my eyes.
            “Seriously guys?” I question. Letty just grinned and pulled me over to the shoe counter.
            “Lance, I need three sixes, stat.” She announced. The guy winked at her and pulled out three sets of shoes. Mika grabbed them and we went over to lane 13.
            “You know,” Mika started, examining her feet. “If these shoes were in a different color I would totally buy a pair.”  Letty rolled her eyes.
            “Jorden Connelly.” I turned in surprise to see Luke, Aqua and Avery about three feet over.
            “Avery Roberts.” I said back. He was probably one of the last people I wanted to see, mainly because I didn’t want his sarcastic remarks. When I looked up at him I saw concern on his face, but he didn’t seem to be acting on it.
            “Pleasant evening to be out bowling huh?” He said.  I looked and saw his eyes were on a rather large man with his beer belly peeking from beneath his bowling shirt. He was eating a hot dog and some mustard had fallen into his walrus moustache. I felt myself grin slightly.
            “Oh totally.” I said. Aqua walked right up to me and gave me a hug.
            “I love you Jorden.” She said studying my face.
            “Love you too Aqua.” I said.
            “Jordylynn, we have a game to play!” Mika called. I turned and saw her and Letty waiting.
            “Guess I better get back.” I told Avery, he nodded. I noticed he was bowling in the lane next to ours.
            “I’ll be right here.” He said with a slight smile on his face.
            “Well well well,” Mika said as I approached. “Is that Jorden Marie Connelly with a slight smile on her face? It’s been days since I’ve seen one of those.” She said. I slapped her arm.
            “Just bowl.” I said. I glanced over and noticed that the others were just starting their game too. Luke was up at the same time Mika was, followed by Letty and Aqua. I went up at the same time as Avery.
            “Ladies first.” He said indicating my lame. I hit seven pins. He was still waiting as I waited for my ball to return. I hit the other three down.
            “Nice one!” Letty called. I gave Avery a smug look before taking my seat. I watched as he went up, and bowled a strike.
            “Oh it’s on.” I whispered. My next turn I bowled a strike, I made sure to look over at Avery when I did, he looked impressed. I watched him bowl a double. I felt my face fall.
            “Jordy you look pissed.” Letty noticed. I shrugged and she followed my line of vision. “Ah, you want to get a better score than Avery.” She noted. I shrugged again. She smiled and walked away. I got 8 pins my next turn, Avery got a Turkey. How the hell was a going to beat him?  I saw Mika walk over to Avery and say something to him. When she returned I raised my eyebrow at her.
            “Don’t worry about it.” She said. A few minutes later Avery came over and set a Red Bull in front of me. 
            “Mika said this may make you happy, so I decided to give it a shot.” He said with an easy shrug of his shoulders.
            “Thanks.” I said. I popped it open, twisted the tab to the side and took a sip. He smiled before walking away. I don’t know what it was, but his next turn I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. I watched as he picked up his twelve pound ice blue ball and walked up to the lane. He stopped with his left foot forward and he slightly looked back and; him and I made eye contact. He dropped the ball and it landed in the gutter with a thud. His looked slightly embarrassed as he walked back.
            “Earth to Jorden, it’s your turn.” Letty said waving her hand in front of my face. I got up and grabbed my sparkly pink ball. I did everything I had watched Avery do up until the part when he looked back. I watched as my ball soared and knocked over all my pins: strike.
            “Yes!” I cheered. I noticed Avery had only hit seven. I sauntered back over to my seat and took a sip of my Red Bull.
            “Game on.” I whispered. He noticed how competitive I was being and we were both trying to beat each other. We kept watching for techniques and flaws. I couldn’t help but noticed that every time he looked over at us, he didn’t do as well.
            “I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but can you two please stop flirting? It’s making me queasy.” Mika said from her seat. She pushed her cheese fries away from her.
            “This isn’t flirting, this is crushing his ego.” I explained. Mika nodded, but definitely didn’t look convinced.
            “Is that what the kids are calling it these days…” She muttered under her breath. I playfully slapped her arm. By the end of our game Avery and I were tied. He came over to me and stuck out his hand.
            “That was one hell of a game Miss Connelly.” He said. I took his hand, flabbergasted.
            “Did Avery Roberts just use a swear word?” I asked stunned. He smiled sheepishly.
            “Perhaps.” Aqua came over and threw her arm around Avery and me.
            “After party?” She asked. “My place.”
            “Rain check.” I told her. She nodded.
            “Okay Roberts. Get your ass back to my car.” She told Avery. Luke walked up and linked his arm with Aqua’s.
            “Demanding and sexy, I like it.” He said. She gave me an apologetic look before saying her goodbyes.
            “Until we meet again Miss Connelly.” Avery said with a little bow. Aqua laughed and whispered something to Avery as they walked out.
            “He so loves you.” Letty said suddenly. I smacked her and went up to pay for our game. I was starting to feel the adrenaline wear off and was feeling on the verge of tears; sometimes I hated being a girl. I took a deep breath to calm myself.
            “I got this.” Mika said handing Lance her mom’s debit card. He waved it off.
            “Don’t worry about it.” He said.
            “Seriously?” I asked confused.
            “Yeah, I owe Miss Juliet King a favor.” We both looked back at her and she smiled. We thanked him and walked away.
            “What was that about?” I asked curiously.
            “I baby-sit his son once a month so he can go out with his fiancé.” She said with a shrug of her shoulders. “He couldn’t pay me once and said he’d make it up to me.” We nodded and got into Letty’s car. She let me have shotgun. I made a decision to check my phone and was amazed to see that I had 10 missed calls. All of which were Tyler. I sighed and shut my phone down. Letty could feel my tension.
            “What’s up babe?” She asked. I shook my head.
            “Just Tyler trying to apologize to me for the zillionth time.” I said.
            “Just ignore him.” Mika said. “He’s not worth your time or energy.” Letty turned on the radio and switched to the country station, Gunpowder and Lead was on. I smiled. Like she was reading my mind, Mika said, “You should try this on Tyler.”  We pulled up to my house and parked. I noticed Mike waiting out front. When he saw us approach he got up and walked to the car.
            “What’s up Mikey?” I asked. As I took a closer look I realized he was pissed.
            Tyler showed up.  I threatened him and he left. I was just making sure he wouldn’t think about coming back.” He opened the door for me and I got out. All of us went back in the house. Mike took a quick glance around before closing the door. Mika, Letty and I went upstairs and closed the door. I plopped down on my bed, the sadness returning. I hated feeling this vulnerable.
            “Babe try not to think about him. Winter Break is just around the corner. Then after that we have the talent show.” Letty said. I groaned.
            “I completely forgot about the stupid talent show.” I said burying my face in my pillow.
            “You have to do it though, you promised Autumn.” Mika reminded me. I groaned again.
            “Yeah I know.” I said grudgingly.  “I’ll figure out something.” I said.


The next few weeks passed in a blur. I went to school, I did my homework, I went to practice, I went home and I did my very best to avoid Tyler. The rumor was proved true when I saw Tyler walking with the girl with dark hair, Natalie, in the hall. He had his arm around her and I saw a baby bump starting to develop. I couldn’t handle this. I ran into the nearest bathroom and waited past the bell ringing to leave. I sat in the stall and felt the tears roll down my cheeks. I splashed a little cold water on my face and wiped it off. I walked down the hall and snuck into photography. The only one who noticed me was of course Avery. I set my stuff down on the back table and instantly grabbed my camera. I was about to check in with Mr. Kelvin when I noticed Avery pursuing me. I spun around and stuck out my hand right as he was about to speak.
“Don’t.” I said. He looked taken aback. “I’m fine. I just want to be by myself.” I walked into Mr. Kelvin’s office and told him that I was going to shoot my film. He nodded and I went out to the courtyard. Snapping the pictures calmed me down a little, so when I went back to class I was collected. I had my headphones in to kind of keep me isolated from everyone else. It was on my country play list and I was listening to Gretchen Wilson. It was one of her many angry breakup songs and it made me feel like I wasn’t alone. When the bell rang I grabbed my bad and dashed out of class.
In English I zoned out. We were starting our new book today, Fahrenheit 451. I didn’t really know what it was about, but I was hoping it was less confusing than Brave New World. After English was lunch and school was the last place I wanted to be. I texted Jamie and told her I was going to go to lunch. Mika went with me; Juliet was having lunch with Jack. Mika turned on the radio and Kelly Clarkson was paying. I turned right and went onto the beltline. Mika grabbed Starbucks while I made a quick trip to Taco Bell. 
In P.E we went bowling again. Shaina and I were sitting while the boys went to get the balls.
“How you holding up?” She asked me. I shrugged.
“As well as I can. It’s easier when I don’t have to see him.” She nodded. She gave me a little hug, and then the boys returned. Vincent started out and he rolled a gutter. Next was Avery, who in turn bowled a strike. I sighed, knowing it was my turn. I grabbed my usual pink ball and looked back at Avery. He didn’t look smug; he looked encouraging. I stepped up and bowled a strike. Shaina had Vince help her with her form; I decided it was just an excuse to get him closer to her. I kind of wished the two would just start dating so I wouldn’t have to see the constant flirting. Once we finished our set I slid my headphones in and listened to Carrie Underwood on my short walk back to school. I kept one headphone in for the entire math class; every song that played matched my mood and feelings, specifically Taylor Swift.
At home, after I had finished my homework, I was sitting on the couch watching an episode of Degrassi. I was curled up in my pink camo blanket with a glass of sweet tea, when Mike walked in.
“Jorden I can’t take it anymore!” He exclaimed suddenly. I raised my eyebrow at him. “Seriously, you’re sad like, all the time. I know you were in love with him and blah blah blah, and he porked some slutty bitch, but Jorden, he isn’t worth all this pain and time. He’s a fucking twerp and the thing that you need to do is make him jealous. He needs to see that he has no effect on you.” I sat there and absorbed what Mike had said. It kind of made sense, but it sounded hard. How was I supposed to get over the fact that the first boy I had fallen in love with cheated on me and got another girl pregnant in the progress?
“Mikey, how am I supposed to do that?” I asked.
“By being happy. By showing him that you are better off without him. To show him what he really lost. Jorden, if anyone can do this, it’s you.” I nodded.
“I’ve got an idea.”  I said suddenly. I tossed off my blanket and ran upstairs to my room. I needed to call Avery.








1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! Are you going to continue to write in collage?

    ReplyDelete