Chapter Two
I awoke the next morning to Mika’s dog, Chewbacca licking my face. I groaned.
“Ugh, Chewy back off!” I gently pushed him over and got out of my sleeping bag, grabbed my bag of toiletries and went to go wash my face in Mika’s bathroom. Living in a family full of guys had its perks, I walked into Mika’s private bathroom and closed and locked the door behind me. It was just a habit since no one in Mika’s house except her mom was allowed in Mika’s bathroom. I washed my face and opened the door to leave, for some reason I went out the door that led into the hall instead of back onto Mika’s room. It had been there for almost two years and I still managed to forget about it. I walked into the hall and then I ran into Skyler.
“Oh. Ha, sorry Jorden, I uhh... didn’t know you were here.” He stammered looking anywhere but in my eyes. I looked down and noticed he was only wearing South Park boxers, no shirt. I must give Alex props, he did look nice shirtless, he was buff but not in a gross Dylan way, but in a way that shows he could take you down if he needed to. I laughed and said,
“Not a problem.” I continued walking to Mika’s room. The girls were laughing when I walked in and from the looks of it, Mika fell off her bed and onto Letty.
“Whoa what happened here?” I asked a little scared to hear the answer. They were laughing so hard I wasn’t sure that they would hear me.
“So I was having a dream where Elle Woods was beating me in every class and it was making me mad so I started a fight with her and she got in her car and was going to run me over. So I started running and that’s when I rolled off the bed and onto Letty.” Mika said while laughing. It did sound pretty funny. Mika always has dreams about movies we watched.
“It scared the eff outta me. I was dreaming about…” Then she began to blush. I think she was gonna say Jack. She met him this summer during soccer camp and we think they had a connection. But she kept trying to convince us that she didn’t like him like that.
“So breakfast?” Mika asked trying to get Letty to stop blushing by changing the subject. “Seth’s here.” She added.
“What did you have in mind?” I asked skeptically. Her brother, Seth, couldn’t cook to save his life; Caitlin didn’t know what she was in for.
“My mom left us some money for breakfast so I was thinking bagels and Starbucks.”
“How are we going to get there? None of us have our licenses yet, just our permits.” Letty asked while rubbing her tummy where Mika fell on her.
“I’ll make Seth take us; mom left the car for him.” Mika got up and walked out of her room to go find Seth.
“Might as well get ready.” Juliet said as she grabbed her bag and headed to the bathroom. I fell back on my sleeping bag, right when my head hit the pillow my phone started ringing. I glanced at the caller id then answered.
“Speak.” I said. It was our inside joke, but I didn’t know how or why.
“Speaking.” Autumn laughed.
“What’s up?” I asked curiously, usually Autumn just texted me.
“Did you get beginning photo?” She asked.
“Yeah. Why?” Was this the important thing she had called me for?
“Because I did, but neither Maggie or Caitlin did and I had to make sure you did so I wouldn’t be alone with my cousin.” She said sounding relieved. I laughed.
“Okay, why didn’t you just text me?” I asked.
“Verizon is under maintenance and my texting is currently not working,” She replied sounding annoyed. “I hope you didn’t miss any texts. They said it should be up and running by noon.”
“Thanks Veggie Babe. See you in photo next week, oh and at Luke’s party.” Autumn was also Luke’s cousin. The Roberts had a pretty big family now that I thought about it.
“Any time Carne Queen. Peace out!” and she hung up. Autumn had been a vegetarian for as long as I could remember. I wish I could, but meat is just so good. That’s where our nicknames come from.
Letty walked back into the room fully dressed. She was wearing skinny jeans and a light blue v-neck Fox shirt. Since she met Jack she had been dressing more skater, it was actually really cute.
“Well I’m all ready. Where’s Mika?”
“She’s still talking to Seth I think,” I looked at the clock and noticed it was 9:00am, the bagel place opened now and I loved getting fresh bagels. “I think I’m going to get dressed now.” I grabbed my bag and went into Mika’s bathroom. I dropped my duffle bag on the floor and started looking for what I wanted to wear. I decided on my grey plaid shorts and my white aero t-shirt. I decided to keep my hair down and I grabbed my flip-flops out of my duffle bag and slipped them on. I grabbed my bag and returned to Mika’s room. When I got there Mika was standing in her jean shorts, her tie-dye t-shirt, and her converse. She was wearing her hair up, except her bangs were falling in her eyes. She was standing next to Seth who was in his Superman shirt holding car keys.
“Ladies we are ready to roll.” Mika said smiling. We walked downstairs and through the kitchen to the garage. There was one car left in the huge garage. It was the green sedan since Adam; Mika’s dad took her brothers in the SUV. Seth got in the drivers side and Mika in the passenger seat. Letty and I got in the back. Seth turned on the radio and “Kryptonite” by 3 Doors Down came on.
“Oh it’s my jam!” He laughed and turned it up. We all sang along as we drove to Starbucks. Once we got there, Seth decided he needed coffee too and said he should probably grab one for Skyler.
“Hi welcome to Starbucks what can I get for you guys today?” The barista greeted us. Mika whispered what she wanted to me and headed next door to the bagel place. Seth ordered his and Skyler’s first.
“Hey, yeah can I get a Venti white mocha and a Grande mocha mint chip frappachino?” Seth asked. She nodded and said,
“Sure you can. Are these both for you?” Seth looked up and the barista had on a very friendly smile.
“Nah, just the white mocha, the other is for my brother at home.” She nodded knowingly. Next it was my turn to order for everyone since Letty went to use the restroom.
“And could I get three Grande Frappachinos? One chai with an extra shot, one caramel and one java chip?” I asked hoping I didn’t confuse her and also hoping I ordered right, Mika and I almost never got Frappachinos anymore. It didn’t look like I did because she was nodding while she pushed buttons on the register.
“Do you want cream on all of those?” She asked Seth. Not me, the last one who last ordered, but Seth. I think she was coming on to him. She leaned over the register when she asked him, but just slightly. He didn’t even look up and when he replied: “Yeah sure that’d be fine.”, This didn’t seem to faze her though because then she said,
“Okay your total is $17.96 but I’ll give you the white mocha on the house.”
“That’d be great, thanks.” Seth handed her a twenty and smiled before looking back down at his phone. She gave him his change and said she’d be back in a minute with those drinks.
“Seth you realize she was totally coming on to you right? I asked while stifling the urge to laugh.
“What? No way. Are you serious?” He looked truly shocked.
“Oh yeah, that was way more than normal flirting.”
“Jorden I think you’ve been mistaken. Girls don’t flirt with taken men.”
“Right, just like guys don’t eat pizza. She was; I’m serious!” I kept trying to prove to him that she was all over him; sometimes boys could be so dense.
“I think I know when a girl flirts with me. How do you think I got Caitlin?” He asked as he raised his eyebrow.
“I ask myself that same question quite often actually.” I laughed. He made a face and then the drinks came up in two of those cardboard drink holders. He took one and went out to the car; I followed and carried the lighter one. We put the drinks in the car and went to the bagel place to wait for Mika. She came out with a bag of bagels.
“Here Seth I grabbed you a chocolate chip one. The rest are cheese jalapeno, onion and pumpkin. Have you ever had a pumpkin bagel? They are unusually amazing.” She took another bite and offered me one. I took a cheese jalapeno one and got in the car. Juliet was already there searching for her caramel Frappachino. Seth took his seat, grabbed his white mocha, and took a drink.
“Hey what’s that on the side of your cup?” Mika asked pointing at Seth’s cup. She took it out of his hand and read it.
“Who’s Mallory and what’s her phone number doing on you cup?” She shrieked.
“See I told you the barista was flirting with you!” I yelled at him, glad I finally won an argument. “You should have seen her! She was all over him.” I informed Mika and she made a face. Seth looked chagrin.
“I swear I didn’t know. Please don’t tell Caitlin; she will freak out.” He begged.
“Caitlin could take that bitch down no problem.” Mika said reaching for her java chip Frappachino, glaring inside the Starbucks. I took my chai one and began sipping quietly as Seth drove away from there shaking his head.
We sat at the kitchen table eating our bagels. Mika grabbed the cream cheese from the fridge and we sat there, eating bagels and gossiping. I felt like such a stereotypical girl.
“Did you hear that Aqua is going to be on the cover of Sixteen magazine?” Mika asked us as she took a sip of her Frappachino.
“Yeah I heard that actually. She was telling Alex about it.” Alex and Aqua were best friends. Another very unlikely match, but somehow it worked. That was the funny thing about Alex; she just worked with everyone.
“I heard that Vincent was going to ask out Shaina, but he keeps losing his nerve.” Juliet told us. Vincent was Gregg’s cousin and Shaina was Jack’s sister. Vince was training to be a firefighter and Shaina was just trying to make the soccer team, which she did thanks to captain Letty.
“They would be cute together.” Mika said, probably picturing it. The rest of the morning continued with more gossip. When 11:50 rolled around, I went upstairs to grab my bag and said goodbye to my besties. I began walking across the lawn to my house. It was times like this when I was grateful I lived so close to one of my best friends.
I walked in my front door to find Jamie, Mike and Alex all lined up holding lists.
“What’s going on you guys?” I asked as I dropped my bag to the floor. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was noon sharp. I saw my mom walk in from the kitchen holding her purse.
“It’s school shopping time. Your list is on the table. Hurry and grab it we were supposed to leave two minutes ago.” Mom hated to be late so I sprinted to the kitchen, grabbed my list and sprinted back. I noticed that my dad had joined the line up. This meant it was going to be a long day. I think mom brought in the reinforcements since Alex was joining us this year.
We took our Yukon since it could seat us all and drove off to Staples to get our school supplies before clothes. Mom grabbed a cart as did dad. Dad took Mike and Jamie and mom stuck with Alex and I. We grabbed our notebooks, and paper and all the boring stuff. Mom got me a thumb drive since I said I really needed one and somehow I convinced her to get me a big pack of gel pens. Oddly enough this trip wasn’t killing me, I was almost having fun and mom was easing out of anal mode. Everything was going great until mom told me to take the cart.
I took the cart down the poster board isle since I figured I would need one sometime and I grabbed the hot pink one. I looked down the next isle and noticed that it was empty. I got a running start and jumped on to my cart. I closed my eyes and took in the wind in my hair; I loved how immature I felt doing it. When I opened my eyes there was someone else in the isle. I tried to stop but since I was wearing flip flops; I had no grip on the bottom of my feet. I was going too fast and crashed into his cart. Luckily nothing fell out. I looked up to see who I crashed into and was instantly chagrined when I saw who it was.
“Are you always crashing into thing?” He asked playfully with a smirk on his face.
“Are you always in people’s ways?” I retorted annoyed.
“Fair enough.” He replied. I didn’t even know what to say to him. Obviously he remembered me from yesterday when I ran into him, but I don’t see why he was talking to me. I didn’t even know him. I looked past him and saw Alex coming towards me carrying a new backpack.
“Hey Jorden, who’s your friend?” She asked as she dropped her backpack in the cart.
“He not my friend.” I said and started to walk away.
Once we paid for everything and got the Yukon loaded we were off to the mall. Dad took Mike, Alex and Jamie to the skate store and mom took me to Aeropostal. I told Jamie if she saw something I would like to grab it and vice versa. In Aeropostal I found some cute jeans and shirts and a sweatshirt; they were always having great sales. Next we went to Pac Sun and I found some plaid shorts, cute summer dresses, more tank tops and a few shirts. I also found my new backpack there. By 3:00 we all met up in the food court and compared what we got. Mom handed us each $10.00 and said to get what we wanted.
“I want change back!” She called after us. Jamie and I wanted Subway and Orange Julius. She got the sandwiches while I got the smoothies. Mike went to Carl’s Jr and got a burger and Alex went to Panda Express for orange chicken. Mom and dad just went to Cinnabon and shared a cinnamon roll. We found a large enough table for us all and began to eat. When we were done eating we went to Journeys to get new shoes. Mike got some black skate shoes, Alex got purple high top converse and Jamie and I got Nike skate. They were really pretty.
We got back home around 5:00pm dad went on Netflix instant download and got us X-men to watch. We watched that and then played family games afterwards. The best game we played was Apples to Apples, which was my favorite. I even won a couple rounds. After that it was midnight and I figured I might as well get to bed. I brushed my teeth and grabbed a comforting book to read before bed; Twilight. There is just something so alluring about a vampire who speaks proper English. Sometimes I felt like the biggest nerd.
No comments:
Post a Comment