Chapter Three
The rest of the week had gone by without incident and before I knew it, the party for Luke’s cousin had arrived. Jamie and I were both in the kitchen. She was making her famous punch, which was just 7-up and frozen juice. I was making a few different appetizers because I had no idea which ones Aqua was talking about. So far I had made deviled eggs, artichoke spinach dip and little Smokies covered in BBQ sauce. Now I was working on the chocolate covered cherries; Aqua’s favorite.
We got everything wrapped up and placed in the back of the car. Mom walked over and got in the passenger side.
“Uhh... Mom aren’t you driving?” Jamie asked.
“One of you girls can drive, rock, paper, scissors or something.” Mom replied lazily, looking out the window. Jamie and I began to play rock, paper, scissors and I won two out of three: I was the one who got to drive. I was so excited, I never got to drive. Even though I did get a higher score on my permit test, dad always let Jamie drive his jeep. I walked around and got in the drivers seat. I adjusted my mirrors, moved the seat forward and then buckled in. I turned the key in the ignition and slowly backed out of the driveway.
Aqua didn’t live too far away so the drive wasn’t very long. I didn’t really care because I still got to drive and show my mom that I was ready to get my license come November. I pulled up to the curb and turned the car off. My mom turned to me and said,
“That was very good Jorden, I think you are ready to get your license.” She was smiling as she said this. I felt like she really meant it too. Dad may have favored Jamie but I felt like mom and I always had a special bond.
“Thanks mom. Can I get it the day of my birthday?” I asked hoping that she would say yes.
“We’ll see honey. You better get to your party now. You wouldn’t want to keep them waiting.” And with that I knew I had been dismissed from the car. Jamie and I got out and got our things from the back of the car. We came around to the front of the car and saw mom in the driver’s seat again.
“Okay girls have fun and call me if you need a ride. I love you.”
“Love you too mom, we will.” We replied then walked up the steps to Aqua’s huge mansion like house. I guess being a successful teen model had its perks too. We rang the doorbell and Aqua answered.
“Hey! Come on in! You can put that stuff on the counter in the kitchen.” Aqua greeted us as we walked in. Jamie said she would take the stuff so I gave it to her and watched as she made her way to the kitchen.
“So Luke just called and said him, Avery and Talon were still getting ready.” I remembered that Talon was Luke’s brother. It was funny they looked nothing alike but were twins.
“Oh that’s fine. Is anyone else here?” I asked looking around.
“Yeah, Alex got here early to help set up, so Skyler is here too. Also Autumn, Charlotte , Hailey, Logan , Dalton , Shaina, Jack, and now you and Jamie,” She looked around to make sure she hadn’t missed anyone. “Oh and I guess Azlan is here, but he hardly counts.” She joked and I laughed.
“Yeah I know what you mean. Mike said he’d be here later. He has to wait for Alexis.” Alexis was his girlfriend. I remembered Mika was never too keen on her, maybe just jealousy, I wasn’t really sure. I walked over and sat on the couch. I sure hoped Juliet and Mika would get here soon, I didn’t think Tyler was going to show up.
Twenty minutes later I saw Mika and Juliet arrive. I was so grateful; I got up to go meet them.
“Hey guys.” I greeted them.
“Hey Jordy, Guest of honor here yet?” Mika asked.
“Not that I’m aware of, you wanna scope out her house?” I asked. Every time we came here Aqua told us to look around and find something new. She was always doing some new ad or rearranging her elaborate house; it was huge.
“Sure. Let me grab some punch first; Jamie makes the best.” Letty started walking to the kitchen. When she returned she was holding three cups. We all thanked her and started walking around. Just then, the door open and I heard Aqua announce that the guest of honor had arrived. I heard he was good looking and was excited to see him. He was hard to see because there was a group of people surrounding him. He was tall though, I could see his surfer blonde hair above the crowd. We continued walking and then I heard someone call my name. I didn’t recognize his voice but I turned around and was instantly infuriated. How did he find me here? Was he stalking me? Why did he know my name? I had so many questions for this stranger who seemed to enjoy making fun of me.
“Who is that?” Letty whispered to me in awe. She was looking at him appreciatively, I couldn’t really explain why, but watching her look at him like that made me feel slightly uneasy.
“I really don’t know. I keep running into him though, literally.” I laughed and looked over at him again. He was waving and trying to squeeze through the crowd. He made it through and was walking towards where I was standing.
“Finally I see you’re not running into things, or people.” He laughed running his fingers through his bleach blonde hair. It didn’t look like it was gelled but it all was messy looking, but not in a bad way.
“Ha you’re so funny.” I said sarcastically.
“Enjoying the party?” He asked as he slid his hands into the pockets of his khaki shorts.
“Yes we are,” I replied. I knew this next part is going to sound rude but I couldn’t stop myself. “Why are you here anyways? You just moved here, you don’t know anyone.” To my utter disbelief he didn’t seem offended, he merely laughed and said,
“Why it’s my party,” He had stated. “I am Avery Roberts, Luke’s cousin.” He stuck out his hand for me to shake, but I ignored it. He began smiling. He had a cute smile; it was sort of lopsided, but not in a goofy way. He could read on my face how truly astonished I was to learn this.
“…Oh” I stammered once again feeling embarrassed. Luckily Letty stepped in to save me.
“Well hello Avery Roberts, I’m Juliet King and as you now know this is my dear friend Jorden Connelly.” He smiled and waved.
“It is very nice to meet you Juliet, and to see you again Jorden. I believe now I am supposed to fraternize with fellow partygoers, so good day.” He did a little bow and left.
“He was cute,” Juliet said “and did you hear how he spoke? It was so proper, although I suppose I should be sick of proper by now huh?” Letty’s mom was totally anal with the whole being proper. She figured giving her kids proper names and having them read Shakespeare would make them better than other people. “And that accent!” She added excitedly.
“No. I hate that guy. He is so pompous. He acts like he knows me so well when I don’t even know him.” I was glaring in his direction and when he looked over and noticed he smiled at me again, his ocean blue eyes shinning. I looked away. Juliet and I walked away to find Mika; she had disappeared again. We found her by the stereo dancing with Luke’s brother Talon. It was odd to watch, but then I remembered Mika never said no to someone who wanted to dance. I grabbed Letty’s hand and we joined in dancing. Paramore’s “Misery Business” began to play and we all started headbanging, jumping around and singing along. This was one of the best party songs ever. Everyone knew it and they all started jumping up and down as if Paramore was really here. Aqua’s whole house was shaking, but no one cared. It was all about having a good time and not worrying about anything. I looked over and even saw Avery dancing. He looked out of place, maybe it was just me. He was wearing khaki shorts and a light blue, long sleeve button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a plain white t-shirt under that. This seemed to be his style, but it seemed too nice for teenage party.
It was 11:30pm before my mom picked Jamie, Mike, Alex and I up. We all piled in the car and our mom told Jamie she was sorry but since she was underage, she couldn’t drive this late at night. When we got home, Mike stayed downstairs and talked to our dad. Jamie followed me up to my room and sat down on my bed.
“Jorden we haven’t talked for awhile.” She stated. This wasn’t a lie either; she had been so busy with Gregg that I felt like she had forgotten about me, I guess I had been busy too.
“Yeah I know. What did you want to talk about?” I really didn’t know what she would want to talk to me about. Nothing new was happening with my life.
“How are things with you and Tyler?” She asked, she seemed like she already had some idea about this but I answered anyway.
“Good I guess. Why?” She was giving me a weird look, like she knew something I didn’t.
“Hun…” It was never a good sign when she called me “Hun” I immediately started panicking, I waited for her to continue and she didn’t look like she was going to. I felt all the blood rush to my face, it was getting hard to breathe I really needed her to tell me.
“It’s probably nothing, but earlier today I saw Tyler talking to this girl. I don’t know who she is or anything, but I did see them talking, they were closer to each other then they really needed to be… You know it’s probably nothing and I’m just overreacting, but I thought I should tell you since you guys were supposed to hang out today.” Talking to a girl I could handle, I’m really not the über jealous girlfriend type, but talking to a girl I didn’t know instead of going to a party with me, his girlfriend, like he said he would? That’s just not right. Plus I had heard some rumors that he had been cheating, but he denied them and I believed him.
“What did she look like?” I probably didn’t want to know the answer, but it was out of my mouth before I had a chance to think it through.
“She was taller than you, black hair, and green eyes. Her skin was very pale,” Tall I could understand, it’s not like I’m short or anything, 5’6” is a good standard height, but black hair and pale skin? What was he reading Twilight and needed some slutty vampire chick? “But you are way more gorgeous Jorden, and remember it was probably nothing.” Jamie was trying to reassure me, but I wasn’t really focused anymore. I wasn’t going to let Tyler get away with this. I was going to confront him the next chance I got.
“Thanks for telling me Jamie.”
No comments:
Post a Comment