Monday, May 2, 2011

Jorden - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

We had survived three more days of Family Game Week by the time I had gotten online next. No one was on messenger but when I checked my e-mail I had one from ThatAussieKid. The subject was Truths. I opened it up and began to read.


Subject: Truths

Jorden,
            I finished the Truth about Forever, like you had asked me to. I know how to play the game of truths and honestly I am quite excited to. The book was really good, quite frankly I was a little surprised. Autumn laughed at the fact that I was reading it and more at the fact that I finished it before she did. I think I will start taking you up on your ideas on what to read. Do you have any more suggestions on what to read?
            When we do hang out I had an idea for the music part. I don’t want to elaborate too much because my intent was to make it a surprise. I hope surprises don’t make you mad or anything =)
            So just name the time and place and I will be there will all the essential things. I know that it has to be sometime after your family game night, but don’t worry, being new here I have a lot of free time. I’ll see you at school.
                                                Sincerely,
                                                                 Avery T Roberts

Reading it made me smile for some reason. I almost couldn’t believe he had really read the book. He was giving me a surprise? The idea brought butterflies to my stomach and I didn’t understand why. I told myself it was just because I didn’t know what to expect. I also couldn’t believe he remembered what I had going on this week. I hit reply on the e-mail and started typing all the while wondering what the T in his name meant.






Subject: Re: Truths


Avery T Roberts,
            I’m glad you liked the book. I didn’t even know Autumn was reading it. If you liked that book I recommend either Just Listen by Sarah Dessen or When IT Happens by Susane Colasanti, unless you haven’t read the Twilight saga. That is a priority. No joke.
            A surprise? I don’t hate them; I actually love them as long as they are good. I can’t wait to find out what it is.
            Let’s shoot for Sunday afternoon that’s when my family game week officially ends. I can’t believe you remembered it. Jamie even forgot it once this week. As for being out every night in a week, it’s overrated so you’re not missing anything, don’t worry about it. I’ll see you Sunday and I suppose at school too.
                                                            Also Sincerely,
                                                                                    Jorden M Connelly

P.S. What does the T in your name mean?


I re-read it and hit the send button. I checked a few more things on the internet and then shut down my computer. I walked over to my bed and collapsed on it. I looked at my clock and it was only 11:00pm. I looked to my left and saw my nightstand with a few books on it. I looked them over and decided to start reading the second Vampire Academy book: Frostbite.
            I must have passed out and awoke to the sounds of my phone ringing. I glanced at the ID and it was Tyler, then I glanced at the clock and it was 11:27. I silenced my phone and turned off the lamp by my bed and went back to sleep.
            I woke up early the next morning; too early. I glanced at the clock which read 4:47. I tried to go back to sleep; but I couldn’t and by 5:00 I threw on my running clothes and went for a morning run through the park.
            When running I noticed others who were running with their headphones in like me. While running past them I briefly wondered what they were listening to. This time running I did not run into anyone and ended up making record time, thanks to the soccer practices I had been having. I got back to my house around 6:30, just in time to jump into the shower.
            I returned to my room after my shower and notice the date on my calendar. It was October 23 and I had about a week to get my costume put together. I was definitely calling Seth tonight.  I went downstairs and grabbed the box of cinnamon toast crunch and poured myself a bowl. At 7:30 I was outside with Mike, Jamie and Alex waiting for the city but to pick us up.
            When we arrived at school I noticed Avery was with Luke, parking their bikes. When he saw me he smiled and waved and I did the same back. Then I looked to my other side to see Tyler coming towards me, glaring at Avery. Tyler decided not to walk towards me and at the last minute turned and headed for the school shaking his head. Avery on the other hand began to walk towards me.
            “Togar; it means smoke.” When I just gave him a confused look he said: “The T in my name; it’s Togar.”
            “Togar? That’s unusual.” I said.
            He laughed then said “Yeah. It’s Australian. My parents wanted me to have something Aussie in me besides my place of origin, so they picked Togar.” I nodded actually understanding what he meant.
            “What’s the M mean?” He asked casually but really he looked curious.
            “Marie. It’s so boring.” I said. I never liked my middle name. It’s just so common.
            “Marie,” he pondered it. “I think it’s really pretty, despite the meaning of it.”
            “The meaning?” I asked confused.
            “Yeah. It’s a form of Mary which means sea of bitterness. But you are not bitter so it doesn’t fit you that way.” He said. I really was starting to wonder how he knew all this.
            “All right then smart guy. What does Jorden mean?” He could tell I was testing him, he just smiled and opened his mouth to reply.
            “Jorden is a form of Jordan which means descending,” my jaw dropped and he continued “or it’s also a form of Jardena which means garden.”
            “Wow okay I wasn’t really expecting to get an answer.” I laughed processing the meaning of my name. Descending garden in a sea of bitterness? I kind of liked it.
            “I cheated,” he admitted. “I looked them up last night because I figured you would ask me based on my middle name.” Ah so he didn’t know everything. That was a relief, but was I really that predictable?
            “But how did you look up Marie if you didn’t know it was my middle name?”
            “Well before you replied to my email I just looked up the most common middle names. I also know what Ann and Elizabeth mean if you are interested.” He shrugged and smiled that smile of his again.
            “Always thinking ahead are we?” I figured saying this aloud instead made me sound like less of a loser. He kept looking at me, but it felt as if he was looking at me from the inside out instead of the other way.
            “I try,” He shrugged. “Well hey, I better get back to Luke over there. I’ll see you later.” He waved and then walked away. I continued walking into the school when I ran into the entire Larsen clan minus Colton since he graduated last year.
            “Oof,” I groaned as I ran right into Cole. I fell back and landed on my butt. “Ugh sorry bout that Cole.” He stretched out his hand and I took it without thinking about it.
            “Oh it’s alright Jorden. You okay?” He asked as he pulled me up.
            “Fine, I’m used to running into things by now.” I said brushing myself off. 
            “Well I’m glad it was just me you ran into.”  He smiled as he said this, almost too friendly.
            “Cole she’s not interested. Stop attempting to flirt with the lady.” Mika said as she pushed her way through her brothers. Cole blushed and walked away mumbling a bye to me and something that sounded a lot like the word witch to Mika.
            “Oh hey Seth!” I called, seeing him begin to walk away. He turned around to look at me placing his longboard on the cement.
            “Yes Jorden?” He was very patient but I knew he really wanted to go see Caitlin. She had gone camping this last weekend and he hadn’t gotten to see her at all.
            “Can you help us with our Halloween costumes this weekend? We want to be superheroes.” At this he smiled.
            “Yeah of course, which ones?” He asked suddenly very interested.
            “Oh uh I don’t know. I think Juliet should be Wonder Woman. Either Mika or I could be Supergirl, then I don’t know any other blonde superheroes…” I let this last thought drag on knowing Seth would finish it.
            “Yeah Juliet would be a great Wonder Woman. I’ll do some research tonight for you and Mika and tell you tomorrow,” He glanced around and saw Caitlin at the coffee cart ordering her morning tea. “Hey I gotta go. See you girls later!” and with that he put down his longboard and rode over to where Caitlin was. Mika linked her arm in mine and we continued into the school.
            Class went by as usual, but the most unusual thing happened when I went to drop off my Spanish book to my locker. I opened it up and an envelope fell out. On the envelope was my name written in meticulous handwriting I was very familiar with. I put my book in my locker then picked up the envelope and opened it.

Jorden, I’m sorry for being an inconsiderate jerk and I would understand it if you never wanted to see me again. I know I should have never invaded your privacy by searching through your Facebook and Myspace pages. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and hope that you know that I would never do something like this again. I was just being a jealous fool and I shouldn’t have been because I trust you. Again I’m sorry baby girl.
Love, your man,
Tyler Dustin Fallon

I re-read it and couldn’t believe that he had done this. From what I could tell he never felt sorry for a lot of the things he did. I slid the letter back into the envelope and put it in my bag. I walked off to my next class, ready to forgive him.
      That day at lunch he sat with me at my table with my friends instead of the guys from the team. When I got there he was already sitting there with my favorite thing to eat and drink; a low-fat blueberry muffin top and a Red Bull. I sat down and kissed him on the cheek then began to eat my muffin top. He smiled and put his arm around me.
      It turned out to be a great day after all. During family game night my mom picked my favorite game ever; 5 card stud. My dad always said that I would grow up to be a gambler because I always won at poker. I just tell him casinos are dirty and I wouldn’t be caught dead in one, but that was probably a lie. Jamie was never good at poker and usually just went all in when she didn’t have anything, but I didn’t mind; more money for me. Mikey and I always felt bad for hustling her.
      After poker I went upstairs to check my e-mail and sure enough I had one from Seth.

Subject: Halloween

Hey Jorden I finally got it figured out. Juliet will be Wonder Woman, you will be Supergirl and Mika will be
Lois Lane
. It was her idea because she said
Lois Lane
is badass and should count as a superhero, which I do agree with. So I will start collecting things for your guy’s costumes and they will most definitely be ready by Halloween.
                                                                                    - Superman Seth.


            I was so relieved that Seth had agreed to help that I shrieked a bit. This Halloween was totally going to rock.
            “What are you shrieking about?” I turned around to see Alex standing in my doorway.
            “I just have a totally badass Halloween costume.” I replied.
            “What are you?” She asked taking another step into my room.
            “Supergirl,” I said almost feeling self-conscious now. “And Juliet is Wonder Woman and Mika is
Lois Lane
.” I looked back at Alex who was smiling now.
            “Ha you’re right that is pretty badass. I think I’m going to be Haley Williams.” Haley Williams was the lead singer in Paramore and we all had assumed she would be her since she had a bottle of temporary red hair dye in her room. Plus she already kind of looked like her.
            “That’s cool. Are you going to head bang at every house?” I asked sarcastically, but knowing Alex she just might.
            “What a great idea!” She exclaimed. “Thanks Jordy.” And with that she left my room.
            I sat back on my bed and started thinking about today and the days to come when all of a sudden my phone rang. I looked around for it but I couldn’t find it. I checked on my desk, under my backpack, even in my pocket but I still couldn’t find it. It was still ringing when I leaned over the side of my bed, all of a sudden I could hear it more clearly. I saw it halfway under my bed. I reached for it then fell off my bed with an audible thud. I grabbed my phone and didn’t have time to look at the caller id.
            “Hello?” I asked out of breath.
            “Hey, you sound out of breath.” He stated. The voice on the other end sounded very familiar but I couldn‘t place it just yet.
            “Nah I’m good.” I replied trying to sound breezy.
            “Are you sure? You didn’t like run into anyone, did you?” I finally figured out who it was. He had a slight accent and was making sarcastic comments.
            “For your information Avery, I actually just cleaned the entire house.” It was only a tiny lie, plus how much of a loser would I be if I had said I fell off my bed?
            “Oh really? Because word on the street is you just fell.” How did he know this?
            “Did you need something Avery? Because I have things to do you know.”  I always started to lose my patients with this kid.
            “Maybe, but I enjoy annoying you.” I could practically hear him smiling over the phone. Then something occurred to me,
            “Hey how did you get my number anyways?”
            “Just come downstairs.” Then he hung up. Oh god he was in my house? I looked down at myself wearing a baby pink tank top and blue striped boxer shorts. I quickly pulled on my Georgia bulldogs sweatshirt and some sweatpants. I took a quick look in the mirror and decided to throw my hair up. When I came down the stairs, I saw him sitting on the couch with Mike. They both looked up at me and I saw Avery smile.
            “So what are you doing here?” I asked.
            “I invited him.” Mike said. 
            I looked over at him again and he just shrugged and smiled again. Mike was setting up the Playstation 3 and it looked like they were going to play Rockband. I looked and Mike was on drums and Avery had the guitar in his hand.
            “Can I play?” I asked.
            “Sure. Go grab the microphone.” Mike said pointing at it with his drumstick. That’s how my great day ended, me singing with Mike and Avery on Rockband, and I had never had more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment