Preface
I finally understood the song “Forever and Always” by Taylor Swift. I couldn’t really pinpoint the time or place when I knew this to be true. But when I finally understood it, it wasn’t for who I thought it would be for. I thought I had found my prince, you know, the one from the football team who you know will grow up and be great. But at 16 you can never be sure. It’s an unusual sensation when you realize that the one you can’t stand is the one who knows things about you that you didn’t even know about yourself. It’s even weirder when you finally accept the fact that you’re in love with them. That’s when you know you’ve found your prince charming and everything seems to fall into place.
Chapter One
I was sitting in my room listening to Taylor Swift, while my boyfriend, Tyler talked to my brother Mike about skating; boys were so typical these days. I got up and walked over to my laptop and signed onto Facebook. My best friends Mika and Juliet were already online as well as my twin sister, Jamie and about 30 others. I went to my messages and saw one from my friend/ famous teen model, Aqua. It read:
Hey Jordylynn!! Just wanted to let you know that Luke’s cousin from Australia is going to stay with him and go to school with us. I think his name is Avery… He’s a junior and Luke wants us to make him feel welcome, so we’re throwing a party. I was hoping you could make those awesome appetizer things and have Jamie make her famous punch. It’s at my house the weekend before school starts and starts at 7:00 I hope to see you there hun! Love ya!
<33 Miss Aquamarine Scott.
I turned to tell Tyler about this but then noticed he had left my room; again typical. Whenever I needed him I could never find him. I walked out of my room and down the hall to find Jamie. I found her in her room with Madigan and her boyfriend Gregg. Madigan was Gregg’s sister, so Jamie tried to be friendly with her. She was really nice; I just had nothing in common with her, except Jamie now.
“Jamie, Aqua is having a party for Luke’s cousin and wants you to make punch. It’s next weekend.” Jamie gave me a weird look and said,
“Why would she throw a party for Autumn? Her birthday is in May.”
“No it’s for her cousin from Australia , Avery or something like that.”
“Can we bring guests?” She asked eyeing Gregg across the room. He was helping her paint her room since she no longer wanted a pink room.
“Probably.” I said beginning to walk out of her room. I loved the smell of paint, random but true, but I was starting to feel awkward since I wasn’t really as close to Jamie as I once was, so I decided to leave. I had always wanted to paint my room, but I liked the sense of familiarity. So I just left my room the way it had been since we were born; baby blue and pink. When we three were born, my mom had said she wanted to be surprised and boy was she when she found out she was having triplets instead of just one. I went back to my room and turned off my iHome. I put on my running stuff and grabbed that thing you can hold you iPod in that goes on your arm; it made me feel very official. I strapped it on my arm and went downstairs.
“Going somewhere honey?” My mom asked from the kitchen. She looked so much like Jamie, (even though we were twins I could see the differences) but I was the lucky one who got her eyes. They were this turquoise color, but deeper (Jamie had lighter turquoise, but most didn’t notice the difference).
“Yeah, I lost Tyler , so I’m going for a run. If he comes back tell him I’ll be back in an hour. He’ll have fun with Mike.” Sometimes I got annoyed when he would just run off like that, that’s why I started running. Coach said I should join track, but I told him soccer was enough for now, but I may reconsider if things kept going like this. I grabbed my blue PowerAde and stuck it in the freezer; they are better that way I found out. I did my stretching and turned my iPod on loud, Carrie Underwood’s “Before He Cheats” was playing and I ran out the door. Let me tell you there is no better high than running; I don’t care what other people say. When I run, all I feel is pure adrenaline. I could run forever, but I would get hungry and apparently I’m grumpy when I’m hungry and that doesn’t end well for anyone.
I had probably been running for half an hour when it happened. I was doing my usual loop through the park and by the riverside when this guy came out of nowhere. He didn’t move and I ended up running straight into him. I fell flat on my back and my headphones fell out. I was sort of dizzy and was laying in direct sunlight, then there were shadows. I opened my eyes to see a hand in my face.
“Oh! I’m really sorry I didn’t see you coming. Did you need some help up?” The stranger asked me. I noticed he was dressed in a white striped button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, he had on a plain grey shirt on under that and was wearing dark jeans. He must have been boiling; it was like 90 degrees out. He was quite handsome. He had this messy dirty-blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. I noticed he had a slight accent too when he spoke. I ignored his hand and got up myself.
“Sorry again, I’m new to the area and was just exploring. It’s really quite beautiful here.” He looked around admiringly.
“Oh yeah I guess so. I never really noticed.” I felt weird talking to him. I had no idea who he was or what his name was.
“So what are you running from?” he asked taking in how I looked. I felt like he was judging me because I was sweaty and my hair was a mess.
“Nothing.” I replied feeling suddenly self-conscious in my short shorts and sports bra.
“If you say so, but nobody runs without any apparent reason.” He said. He was starting to make me mad. He was acting like he knew everything about me when he didn’t even know my name.
“Well I’m not, I gotta go now.” With that, I took off running again, putting my headphones back in my ears. I didn’t even look back to see his reaction. It didn’t matter what he thought anyways, it wasn’t like I would ever see him again.
When I got back home, I felt rejuvenated, but dirty; I wanted a shower. I went into the bathroom Jamie and I shared to make sure it was empty; it was. I grabbed fresh towels from the cupboard next to the sink and plugged my iPod into my other iHome. Lately all I had wanted to do was listen to music and sing; I always wanted to sing. It drove Tyler crazy but honestly, I didn’t think I sounded that bad. Right when I was going to shut the bathroom door my cousin, Alex, came walking down the hall.
“So, Tyler left. He said he didn’t feel like waiting. What a jerk.” Alex told me with obvious disdain in her voice. She didn’t like him. She thought he was a stupid baseball playing jock and all he wanted to do was get in my pants. I reassured her that that wasn’t going to happen.
“I figured he would. Oh well, he wasn’t paying attention to me anyways.”
“Why do you put up with it? He is so not worth your time, I think you just need to dump him” Alex just didn’t get why I couldn’t dump him; I couldn’t dump anyone.
“I just can’t. I don’t want to hurt him. I’ve seen hurt and I don’t want him to be like Mika and Mike or like how I was with Aiden, even though it was mutual.” I thought back to the days before I turned 14. The last time I had a boyfriend. I really could have loved him, but I was too young to feel that. I still think I am. The memory still kind of hurt.
I closed the door, started the water for my shower and turned on my iPod , “Our Song” by none other than Taylor Swift began to play. I started singing along as I always did in the shower. Why is it you always sound better when singing in the shower?
By the time I was done and dressed, I walked downstairs and saw Alex setting the table for dinner. In my house we took turns making dinner. Tonight was Alex’s turn and it looked like she made turkey noodle. It was really good, especially when she made it. It had noodles, peas, turkey and the special white sauce. I went to the fridge and grabbed the milk and the filtered water. I put them on the table and helped Alex finish setting the table.
After dinner, I went up to my room and looked over my schedule for school:
Student Time Table
Pupil No. Grade Gender Telephone Teacher RoomNo.
133789 10 F Graham, Natalie 115
To the Parents/Guardians of:
Connelly, Jorden
3128 NE Hobard Place
Course Name | Sem | Term | Day | Period | Teacher Name | Room |
Spanish 3 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Murillo, Lucia | 121 |
Beg. Photography | 1 | 1 | 0 | 2 | Kelvin, Daniel | 305 |
English 10 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 3 | Wilson, Jason | 206 |
Multicultural Studies | 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | Campbell, Russ | 120 |
Gen Phys Educ | 1 | 1 | 0 | 4 | Green, Kelly | WTRM |
Advanced Algebra | 1 | 1 | 0 | 5 | James, Lauren | 116 |
Connections | 1 | 1 | 0 | 8 | Kelvin, Daniel | 305 |
I looked over my schedule for firs t semester a second time. I knew Mr. Kelvin was cool, but I wasn’t looking forward to meeting Ms. James; I hated math. The principal, Ms. Graham was really cool though. I was her office aid last year and on my 15th birthday she got me a cake and a small gift. It was really cool. She’s the IDEAS school principal. North was separated into three small schools: IDEAS, Arts and IHS. I’m in IDEAS, Jamie and Mike both went to Arts and Alex chose IDEAS as well. She was a junior this year even though she hadn’t even turned 16 yet. When she lived in New York , she skipped 4th grade. She still denied being smart though, I never understood why. I was nervous to start school in two weeks. Luckily my best friends had some classes with me; I knew I would survive.
I was still pondering my schedule when Tyler texted me to see how I was doing. He didn’t even apologize for bailing on me. I told him I was fine; no reason to make him upset. He texted me a quick good night and left me there to mull over what Alex told me earlier about dumping him. I knew I couldn’t do it. I would hate being the one to cause that kind of pain. Thinking about it was getting me all flustered; I needed my girls. I called up Mika and Juliet on my 3-way calling. I called Mika first.
“Hello?” Mika yelled. It was always really loud at her house, but what else can you expect living with 6 guys?
“Hey girly, you busy?” I asked hoping she wasn’t.
“Me? No never. What’s going on darling?” I could hear that she had gone into her room because it became suddenly quiet.
“Hold on let me call Letty up too.” I said. I put my 3-way calling into action and called her up.
“Hello?” It wasn’t Letty who answered the phone; it was her younger sister Melanie.
“Hey Melon, can you give the phone to Letty please? It’s Jorden and Mika.” I loved Melanie to death, but hated when she stole Letty’s cell phone.
“Sure.” She replied. A few moments later I heard Letty’s voice.
“Sorry about that. She wanted to watch TV on it because Benji has friends over and they’re playing Halo on the big screen, what’s up?” I told them how I was feeling and what Alex said I should do.
“Hun, is it time for a girls night?” Letty asked with concern.
“I think it is. Where should we have it?” I asked.
“My house would be best. My dad is taking Colton , Dyl, Cole and Clinton camping. Seth and Skyler didn’t want to go for obvious reasons.” Mika told us laughing. Her brother Seth was dating this girl named Caitlin. They had been going out since they were 14 and now they were 17. We couldn’t imagine them breaking up. They were totally in love, but not in a gross all over each other kind of way, but in a sweet way. Her brother Skyler was dating my cousin Alex. Kind of an odd couple because Skyler was… well Skyler and Alex had a lip ring and purple in her hair; enough said, yet somehow they were still really cute together.
“Okay. I’ll see you in five Miks and you Letty in fifteen.” We all said bye and hung up. I grabbed my duffle bag and started pulling out clothes from my drawers and placing them inside. I grabbed my build a bear from my bed and tucked her safely inside my bag and then reached for my new book: When IT happens. It was really cute so far. I slung it over my shoulder and headed downstairs.
“Mom I’m going to Mika’s for the night.”
“Okay honey. But you have to be home around noon tomorrow, we’re going school shopping.” She said while dishing up some ice cream for her and my dad.
“Sure thing mom, bye.” I walked out the door and locked it behind me. I walked next door to Mika’s and just walked inside; I was practically family here.
“Why hello there Miss Jordylynn, Did you want something to eat?” Mika’s mom was always glad when there was more estrogen in the house; she always felt lonely in a house full of guys.
“Maybe after Letty gets here. I’ll just head up to Mika’s room. Thanks anyways mom.” Since I was here almost every day and I had known her since I was born, she insisted I call her mom and my mom said the same thing about Mika.
“Okay. Call if you need anything.” I loved Mika’s mom. She was always offering us something and taking us for spa days. The weird thing was she looked so much like Mika, only less tan and her hair wasn’t as bleached as Mika’s was. Mika had never dyed her hair though, that’s just what happened when you were blonde and you spend all your free time outside in the pool.
“Knock Knock.” I said as I walked into Mika’s room. It was pink and yellow; she had it painted for her on her 14th birthday. Oddly enough the girly colors suited Mika.
“Hey babe,” She was wearing plaid boxers and one of her tank tops, her hair was pulled back and she wasn’t wearing make up, but of course she was gorgeous. She put down the magazine she was reading and walked over to hug me. “I’m so sorry you are confused. I’m sure a girls night will help you. Letty should be here soon, she got Benji’s friend to drive her here.” Mika stepped back and took my bag. She tossed it on the floor and we sat down on her bed, she passed me a magazine and I began to read.
Ten minutes later Juliet showed up and put her bag down next to mine. We all changed into our night things, me in my hello kitty shorts and pink tank top and Letty in her old soccer shorts and a black tank top.
“Okay ladies I picked out the three all time best girlie movies and we are to vote on one. I have Mean Girls, Legally Blonde and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.” She held all the movies up to her face.
“Legally Blonde!” We all shouted at once. Reese Witherspoon was one of my all-time favorite actresses, plus we had watched Mean Girls last time. Mika ran downstairs to grab the popcorn and the soda.
“Okay we have Mountain Dew Voltage and Root Beer.” Mika reported, holding the two twelve packs and balancing the giant bowl of popcorn on one of them. We ran over and took them from her. I grabbed a Mountain Dew and Letty took a Root Beer. Mika took a Mountain Dew as well and started the movie.
After the movie was over we all sat on her bed, I was holding my build a bear which I named Lulu. She was a panda; my favorite kind of bear.
“Hun, what is it you want to do?” Mika was looking at me like she knew what I was going to say, but was still going to make me say it. She knew me so well; our parents were old friends from back when they were in high school; it was kind of crazy, but I hoped Mika, Letty and I would end up like that.
“I can’t break up with him. I don’t want to.” But somewhere deep down I wasn’t sure how much I cared for him anymore; I knew I did, but maybe not as much as I did last year. Letty could see that I wasn’t one hundred percent sure and asked,
“What if he were to break up with you?” I hadn’t really thought about that. I’m sure he will sometime. He has more fun with my brother than with me, which I also don’t get; Mike doesn’t like him that much.
“I don’t really know what I’ll do until that day comes.” I replied.
“I think you should stay with him. If things get bad, we’ll be there for you Hun. If you don’t want to break up with him then don’t.” Mika always knew what to say. That’s why she was my best friend. I knew she was right, she always was. She came from weird relationships. She always had this weird attraction to my cousin Drew. He was two, almost three years older but they did everything together. Plus there’s the whole thing with Mike, I was still sure they were meant to be together. My Aunt and Mika’s mom always joked that Drew and Mika would get married someday, but again I knew better. I guess I can’t say that Drew and Mika don’t belong together, I mean they never even got the chance to be together, Colton practically forbid it and she hated fighting with him. I knew someday she would break that and just go out with Drew, I’m pretty sure he was second place in her heart, after Mikey. It’s funny how you don’t realize something until you actually take the time to go back and look at it. Mika will realize her feelings for Mike someday and for Drew, I just wonder which she’ll accept first.
“Okay I think I’ll do that. Thank you guys so much for being here for me. I love you guys so much.”
“We’re always here for you Hun. That’s what best friends are for.” Mika said as her and Letty hugged me. We all got up and brushed our teeth then went back to Mika’s room to go to bed. It was nearly 1:00am and I was defiantly feeling tired. I got in my sleeping bag, hugged Lulu tight, and thought again of Tyler and what my feelings were for him now.
I'm really impressed by how much work is going into this. It's very well developed! How long do you spend writing each chapter?
ReplyDeleteI've never timed it really. If it's a good day I can get through maybe half of one easily. A lot of times I just go back and edit previous chapters.
ReplyDelete