Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jorden - Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

“You know, this doesn’t make us like friends or anything.” I told Avery the first day of Winter Break. We were in my garage, practicing my talent for the talent show. When I had come up to him the day before break started, I had asked him if he would consider helping me. He of course agreed. He got up from his little keyboard and walked over to the fridge. He pulled out two bottles of green tea and tossed me one.
“Yes Jorden, you have made that very clear.” He said. I smiled and took a sip of my tea.
“So I was wondering, since we’re taking a break and everything, can we go to the mall or something? I’m really slacking in the best friend department.” I told him. Mika’s birthday was in a couple days and I still hadn’t gotten her anything.
“Of course. Did you want me to drive?” He asked. I nodded. Jamie had our car anyways, plus he was a good driver.
“Yeah just let me go up and change.” I left him in the garage and went up to my room. I grabbed my favorite pair of jeans and my hot pink Hollister shirt. I grabbed my purse and went back downstairs. Avery was casually leaning by the door. He was twirling his keys on his finger.
“Ready to go Miss Connelly?” He asked. I smiled and nodded. He opened the door and led me to his little beat up pick up truck. I had once asked him about it, his response was he was indulging in the American culture. He opened up the door for me and held it open as I got in. He closed it carefully behind me and got in. When he turned on the radio I saw it was on the same station I always listened to.
“Country?” I asked. He smiled.
“Just embracing my American culture.” Was his only response before switching into gear and driving off.


At the mall, I was in a panic. We had gone into five stores and I still couldn’t find anything that screamed Mika.
“She got me a freaking bunny! How do I top that?” I asked frustrated.
“Well you know her better than anyone. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” Avery said calmly.
“You’d think I’d have it by now.” I mumbled. I knew I was going to do our traditional Starbucks morning treat, but what else?
“Well, what did you do last year?” He asked. I flashed back to Mika’s 15th birthday. She had gotten her permit and her and her current boyfriend Logan had driven to go pick up Auden, Mika’s favorite cousin. When they got back, the four of us went polar bear swimming. It was crazy and exhilarating. After we got back, we had a huge spa day and then we had a movie marathon at my house. It was small, but I felt like it had been what she needed during that time.
“We just drove around and did a spa day.” I said with a sigh.
“Well besides the obvious people, who’s Mika’s favorite person to be around?” My mind quickly flashed to Drew.
“Drew, but Colton would hardy allow it. He hates Drew.” I said.
“But Mika doesn’t.” He countered. I shook my head.
“No, she kinda loves him and he her, it’s been like that forever.” I said. He smiled.
“Does she like the same things he does? You know hay, horses, country music?” he asked.
“Way to stereotype,” I joked. “But yeah, she’s never really been on a horse.” I said.
“I think we just figured out her present then.” He said grinning. I gave him a questioning look and waited for him to continue. Then it hit me.
“Oh my gosh, trail ride! Avery you are a genius!” I exclaimed. I gave him a quick hug then backed away. “We can lead up to the trail ride by making all her presents things she’ll need to be out at the farm in December.” I was ecstatic by now, slightly jumping up and down.
“To Costal then?” he asked smiling. I nodded and we went back out to his truck, but not before I grabbed Mika’s favorite perfume.


At Costal there were a lot of farm type people, which I guess should be expected.
“Okay so for riding you need, boots, a warm Carhart jacket, a plaid shirt, and riding jeans. Am I missing anything?” I asked.
“You’re getting her boots? Those are like over $100 bucks.” He noted. My face fell.
“Yeah I guess that’s a good point. The Carhart is kinda expensive too. I guess I’ll stick to the plaid flannel and a western belt!” I added. He nodded and we went searching.
“What color should I be looking for?” Avery asked from behind a rack of Cruel Girl clothing.
“She looks awesome in pink and blue.” I noted. He nodded and a few minutes later he walked over to me with a white, pink and blue flannel shirt. He held it up to me. “What are you doing?” I asked confused.
“Try it on.” He said.
“But it’s for Mika.” I said. He rolled his eyes. I saw that familiar smirk on his face.
“Yes, but you and Mika are the same size with very similar coloring.” He explained. I sighed in defeat and tried it on.  He sucked in a breath and looked me up and down, but not in a gross ‘checking you out’ kind of way, which was a nice change from Tyler.
“I think that’s the one” He deemed. I smiled.
“Excellent, Now on to the belt.” I said as I slid off the plaid shirt. Avery offered to carry it for me. Neither Avery or I were experts on western belts and decided on a very intricate pattern with a large buckle, similar to the one Drew had gotten me.
Back in the truck, I called Drew to make sure everything would be okay. He of course agreed; he sure had it bad for Mika. He said he’d even chip in on the birthday theme, but wouldn’t say more then that.  Avery offered to buy me a Jamba Juice, and I let him. We talked a little more, mainly about music. He never mentioned Tyler, which I was thankful for. It was easier to deal with when I didn’t have to think about him. Although now I was more pissed than I was depressed; I wanted revenge.


When Mika’s birthday arrived I was ready for it. Colton let me into the house and I tiptoed up the stairs and into Mika’s room. I set down her favorite Starbucks drink; an iced quad shot white peppermint mocha, and her poppy seed muffin top. I decided it would be cool to set up a scavenger hunt type thing to lead Mika to her gifts. I started setting out different colored sticky notes that would lead her to gift one; the perfume. I stuck the first sticky note; a hot pink one, to her sealed muffin top. I glanced at her clock and knew her alarm would go off in about ten minutes. I quickly grabbed my pack of sticky notes and began placing the clues around her room and down the stairs. The last one led up to my car, which had the belt, Red Bull and a pack of jerky (Mika often referred to the combo as hick food). When I got back upstairs she was sitting on her bed, drinking her coffee. She held the sticky note out to me.
“What’s this about?” She asked and I smiled at her.
“Scavenger hunt.” I told her, I saw her face brighten.
“Really now?” She asked and I nodded.
“Yeah you better get to it. But I recommend getting dressed first.” She got up and walked to her closet. Even from afar when she opened it I spotted the bright blue and green sticky notes, each exclaiming: “Wear me!” in my familiar handwriting. She smiled and picked out the boot cut jeans and white thermal shirt. She changed quickly and went back to the original note I left on her muffin top.
“I’m the second only place you have to yourself.” She read aloud. “What is that supposed to mean?” When I refused to answer I saw the wheels turning in her head. She looked in her bed, by her vanity mirror, and on her computer. Her eyes darted past her private bathroom door, and then I saw the light click. She opened the door and saw the bottle of “With Love” perfume sitting on her bathroom counter. She gasped and went over to pick it up. She sprayed some in the air and wafted it towards her.
“Jorden I love it!” She enthused. Ever since Avery had given it to me for my birthday she had been obsessed with it.  She gave me a hug then noticed the bright orange sticky note that fell off the bottle when she picked it up.
“…My favorite place as a kid?” She mused aloud. I smiled already imaging us all hanging out in my garage.
“It’s somewhere at your house right?” She questioned, I couldn’t hide my smile this time. She grabbed my arm and dragged me back to my own house. She opened the door and immediately began searching. She checked through the entire living room and kitchen then decided to check upstairs. She glanced through mine and Jamie’s room then went to Mike’s.
“I’d check Alex’s, but she wasn’t here when we were kids.” I nodded and she tentatively knocked on Mike’s door. She eased it open and saw Mike passed out on his bed. She faltered in her steps a little and turned around.
“It’s not in here is it?” I shook my head and she easily eased the door shut again.
“Then there’s no need to bother him.” She said. We went back downstairs and she plopped down on the couch.
“I’ve looked in every room but the garage and your parents’ room.” She groaned. Mike stumbled down the stairs, half-dressed and walked up to Mika. He had something behind his back.
“Thought I heard you in here.” He smiled. His hair was messy from sleep and he had goose bumps on his chest from leaving the warmth of his bed. “Happy Birthday Mika.” He said handing her a small gift. She smiled and opened it. “I know it’s no turtle or anything, but it reminded me of you.” He said embarrassed. I looked and saw it was a purple and blue Fox sweatshirt. I smiled.
“Didn’t take you to be sentimental Mikey.” I told him. It looked a lot like the one Mike had back in 6th grade, she used to steal it all the time, but it was stolen sometime after that. He waved it off.
“Oh and there’s this.” He handed her a small package. “This you will probably make fun of me for.” He added. When she opened it I saw a small hemp necklace fall out with a little glass bead hanging from the center.
“Mike it’s beautiful.” She said getting up and giving him a hug. She put in on and it fell a couple inches above the one that matches mine.
“Oh my gosh, the garage!” Mika exclaimed after leaving her embrace with Mike. She hurriedly went to the garage and ripped open the door. There, sitting on the deep freeze she saw her second gift and a bright yellow sticky note. She took off the sticky note and read it, then proceeded to open the gift. When she opened it she saw the plaid shirt and a small stuffed horse. She smiled as she slid on the plaid shirt, which fit perfectly and looked amazing on her. She re-read the note and then looked over at me.
“Where are we going Jorden?” She asked. I dropped my keys from my lanyard.
“You’ll see.” I said. I led her to my little indigo Escort. Sitting on the passenger seat was her last gift set; the belt, red bull and jerky.
“Hick food?” She questioned as she got in. I nodded and handed her the gift. She opened it and saw the belt with intricate belt buckle.
“It’s gorgeous.” She enthused. She awkwardly sat up in her seat and tried to put it on. I cranked my radio on and “Hicktown” was playing. It was so fitting for the moment that I laughed a little. Mika gave me a questioning look, but I shrugged it off. When we were about to cross over to country territory I leaned over and grabbed my pale pink bandana.
“Yeah I’m gonna need you tie this over your eyes.” I told her. She gave me an incredulous look.
“You’re joking right?” She asked. I shook my head.
“Afraid not babe.” She sighed and tied the bandana around her eyes.
“This better be worth it.” She mumbled. I laughed.


By the time we got there I could feel Mika growing impatient.
“Can I take this stupid thing off yet?” She whined. I laughed.
“Let me just get you out of the car first. I spotted Drew just near the barn and waved him over. He had a large box in his hand. He quickly jogged over and set the box down behind my car.  “Okay, one, two, three.” I untied the bandana and she took in the scene. The barn, the horses, and Drew.
“Jorden what is this?” She asked skeptically.
“You Miss Larsen, will be joining me on a trail ride.” Drew said. He reached around my car and grabbed his box. “But you may want to open this first, birthday girl.” She grinned and took the box from him. When she opened it she gasped. I peered in and saw a warm looking camo jacket.
“Drew how did you know I’ve always wanted one of these?” She asked astonished. He grinned.
“I’m not only a simple minded country boy, I also pay attention.” He said smiling. He cleared his throat. “Now let’s go get you a horse tacked up.” We followed him up to the barn, but Mika stayed back.
“You got me a trail ride with Drew for my birthday?” She asked. I nodded.
“You aren’t mad are you? Colton doesn’t know anything about it.” Colton didn’t agree with Mika’s on and off crush on Drew, he was never aware that it was a mutual on and off crush. I kind of compared their relationship to the song “Mary’s Song (Oh my my my)” by Taylor Swift. Except he was three years older than her, but when they were younger they used to do everything together when he was over. But since Colton didn’t approve, she had never acted on her feelings towards him, but I feel that one day she will.
“No, it’s actually really great to spend time with him.” She admitted. I saw that look in her eye and knew that she was on the on part of liking him. I smiled at my success. He helped her tack up and stood really close to her. I had to tack up myself. Once we were all ready to go, he helped her slip on her new camo jacket and I had on one of Dwight’s old Carharts. Once everyone was ready we headed into the forest near the barn; there were a couple trails to follow. We took the one to the right; it was surrounded by trees on either side. Once we got to a higher elevation you could see everything.
“Wow.” I breathed.
“Yeah really.” Mika agreed.
“Let’s stop here.” Drew suggested. We hopped off the horses and let them graze around the grassy field area. Drew took something out of the side pack on his saddle; it was a blanket and a brown paper sack. “Figured we’d have a birthday lunch.” He said. We joined him on the blanket. He took out a container of my Aunt Carrie’s famous potato salad, biscuits, honey-butter and roast chicken; Mika’s favorite meal when she stayed out here with me.
“I can’t believe you remembered.” She said; Drew looked very pleased with himself.
“Of course I did.” He said taking a bite of his biscuit dripping with honey butter. She smiled and began assembling her own plate. I did the same and we all talked about the past and memories we had with Mika.
“I remember this one time,” Drew began. He took a bite of his third biscuit and continued. “You and Mika were over, I guess you two were about ten, and Mika really wanted to prove that she could be country, like Dwight and I. So she grabbed my shotgun right out of my own hands, turned, and shot the beer can right off the top of the post.” He finished. Mika flushed, remembering the memory. “She was country before she even knew, although I’m not sure she even knows now.” He laughed.
“I’ve always known. I have six brothers, it was bound to happen.” She laughed. I saw the look in Drew’s eyes and could tell that this was the moment he really fell for her.
After lunch we packed up and went back down to the barn. Drew offered Mika his hand and she took it. He helped her off the horse.
“That was so fun!” Mika enthused as she watched Drew put away the three horses. I wanted to give them some alone time, but I couldn’t figure out how to do so without being completely obvious. Once he got the horses put away he was just kind of gazing her, I quietly excused myself to the bathroom. Inside the house I saw Dwight making himself a leather belt.
“Hey Dwighty.’ I said with a smile. I went and sat next to him at the table. I noticed his belt had his name centered on the back. “Nice belt.” I commented.
“Thanks,” He said. I saw him glance behind him out the window; even from here you could see Drew and Mika talking to each other. “Are they gonna kiss or not?” He asked frustrated. I shrugged. “I’m tired of this game they play, they just need to grow a pair and go out.”
“Someone’s in a lovely mood today. What’s up?” I asked.
“My girlfriend broke up with me yesterday. No big deal.” I told him I was sorry and that I was here anytime he needed to talk. He thanked me and I snuck out the back door and to my car. I turned on the radio so I would have something to do until Mika was done gazing at Drew. Taylor Swift was on the radio, which I loved. I turned it up way loud and belted the song. There was a tap at me window and I jumped. Mika and Drew were standing right outside the car. Instead of opening the door, I just rolled down the window. I noticed immediately that their arms were touching; I had no idea why this was significant to me, but it was.
“We understand that your song is the sound of screen doors, but we could definitely hear that from the porch.” Drew informed me. I shrugged.
            “Thanks for the update?” I questioned.
            “I think it was my cue to go.” Mika told Drew. I saw his face slightly fall.
            “Yeah alright, don’t be a stranger okay?” He told her. She nodded and he embraced her with an overcoming hug. She was smiling when she got into my little car and drove off.
            “So,” I asked after we were a good five miles away from the farm. She glanced over at me. “Did all those old feelings return?” I asked. I saw her face flush.
            “I have no idea what you are talking about…” she said with a smile.
            “Please Mika, I can read you like a book.” I told her. She broke into a grin.
            “Okay okay I admit it, the feelings definitely returned. Oh Jorden, I want him.” I smiled.
            “Yeah I kind of figured.” I said smiling. “You should definitely act on that one Miks.” I told her in earnest.
            “You think?” She said pondering it. “No, Colton would never allow it.”
            “So Mika, he’s going to have to deal with it someday. He doesn’t like you dating anyone, but you’re sixteen, it shouldn’t matter that much, what’s three years?” I pointed out.
            “Nineteen and Colton’s age.” She said with disappointment. After that I decided to let the subject go, I knew someday she would deal with it.

            When we pulled up to her house, the first thing we noticed was an extra car sitting in the driveway. I pulled up next to the mailbox and took my keys out of the ignition. We got out and went to investigate the mysterious car. It looked like a little 4 door Civic, it was dark red. We went in the house to see everyone lounging around in the living room.
            “What’s with the Civic out front?” She asked. Skyler ran up to her.
            “Dude it’s ours!” He exclaimed. I saw Mika’s jaw drop.
            “No way.” She uttered. He nodded vigorously. I saw Kylie enter the room.
            “Happy birthday sweetie.” She said. She walked up to Mika and gave her a hug and a kiss on the forehead. “I was hoping you two would be home earlier, the boys found the present out front.” She said coming over to me and giving me a quick hug.
“So it’s true?” Mika asked. Kylie nodded and Mika screamed.
“I can’t believe I have a car!” She exclaimed. Kylie handed her a set of keys with a hot pink ribbon tied to them
“All yours baby girl, happy birthday.” Mika gave her one last hug before grabbing my arm and pulling me towards her new car. She got in and adjusted her mirrors; they were much too high for her thanks to her three brothers. She turned on the radio and switched away from the rock station.
“In the mood for some free Peach Red Bull?” She asked. “I have a free one on my stamp card.” I nodded. She slid on her sunglasses and off we went.


After the Christmas holiday, Avery and I went back to work on my talent. We were in the garage again, this time I was practicing with my CD.
“Jorden, this song is really powerful.” Avery said after I finished the song. “I’m pretty sure he won’t know what hit him.” I smiled proudly.
“I really want to be able to put as much emotion as possible into this. I want him to know I mean it.” Avery nodded, from the look on his face I could tell he understood what I meant completely.
“You will. That’s what I’m here for.” He said proudly. I laughed.
“That and you piss Tyler off the most.” I added. He smiled sheepishly.
“Yeah I still don’t understand that.”
“He’s pretty sure that you were in love with me or something.” I admitted.
“Well you know what they say; if they don’t trust you that means that they wouldn’t trust themselves in the same predicament.” I nodded.
“Back to work?” I asked. He nodded and started the CD again. I tried to get my steps in time with the song while singing; I had no idea how Letty managed. After one more one time through, Avery sat down at the keyboard and played out the song from the sheet music in front of him. I sang without the CD and it didn’t sound half bad, although this song didn’t have that much background sound anyways. I really needed to find someone who knew how to play the violin.
“Do you know anyone who could play the violin parts?” I asked. He sat down on top of the deep freeze and pondered; I could practically see the wheels turning in his head.
“Do you know Rory Jensen?” He asked after a couple minutes. I popped open one of my Red Bulls and nodded.
“Yeah I have Advanced Algebra with her.” I said.
“I have band with her, she definitely plays the violin.” He mused aloud. “I wonder if she would help us out…” He took out his phone and dialed a number. “Hello Rory? It’s Avery. I was wondering if you would perhaps do me a favor? Well… I’m helping out Jorden with her talent for Autumn’s talent show, but her piece seems to be lacking, it is in dire need of some violin and I was wondering if you would consider learning the part and performing with us?” There was a long pause, which made me nervous. “No it’s not like that, I’m just helping out a friend. Rory stop,” He laughed a little and it touched his gorgeous blue eyes. I hated that I noticed them, but honestly how couldn’t I? “Yes I know that’s what I want, but like I’ve said before; life isn’t always fair. I’m fine. So tomorrow? Sounds great, thanks so much. Goodbye Rory.” He slid his phone closed.
“We Miss Connelly, have a violinist.” He said with a slight grin. I smiled broadly at him.
“Avery you rock.” I told him.

The next day I was in the garage with Avery and Rory. We had just finished explaining to her what my talent was and the significance of it. She laughed.
“That’s awesome. I love revenge.” She took out her pretty cherry wood violin. “Just print me out the sheet music.” I handed her the extra copy and she glanced over it. ‘Oh yeah I can do this no problem.” She said after reading through it. I felt a grin spread across my face.
“Before Saturday?” I asked to clarify. She nodded.
“Without  a doubt.” She replied. We practiced for a few hours and deemed it acceptable to call it quits; Rory was much farther along than Avery or I had expected.


I couldn’t lie, but December 31 was probably one of my favorite holidays ever. Every year at my house we threw a big New Years Eve party; I was in the kitchen making the h'orderves with Jamie and Alex. I was wrapping up asparagus pieces with bacon and Jamie was making her famous punch yet again. Alex was testing her culinary expertise and making mini cheesecakes. Mika waltzed into the kitchen carrying a tray of her lemon bars. She set them on the counter and walked over to me.
“Need help?” She asked eyeing the tray of half wrapped asparagus in front of me. I nodded and she came over and began helping me. “So who all is going to be here tonight” She asked casually. I knew she was wondering if Drew had sent an RSVP. Last year he had to fix the frozen pipes at the barn and couldn’t make it to the party.
“Well us obviously, then your family, Aqua and company, Rory, Caitlin, Alexis, Shaina, Jack, Letty, oh and Dwight and Drew.” I said. I saw her sigh in relief when she heard Drew’s name.
“It’s gonna be busy.” She mused aloud. I nodded in agreement.
“Is Colton bringing Maggie?” I asked. Maggie was a senior at school and last year Colton had it bad for her, she wouldn’t even give him a second look. He finally wooed her and she accepted a date from him; they had been dating since last May.
“Yeah, those two are inseparable. I’m really hoping he gets so distracted that he doesn’t notice Drew.” She said as she sprinkled the brown sugar over the tray of bacon wrapped asparagus.
“You know you could just secretly date him.” I pointed out. She shook her head.
“No, that didn’t work so well the last time I tried to secretly date someone.” I thought back to her secret relationship with Logan last year. They got caught making out on her bed by Colton and he was furious.
“Good point.” I said. Just then I heard the doorbell ring. “I’ll get that.” I volunteered. I quickly dried off my hands and ran over to the door. I saw Aqua, Luke, Talon, Avery, Rory and Autumn standing outside, all with assorted trays of snacks. I pointed in the direction of the kitchen and everyone came bustling in. I shut the door and walked over to the sound system. Realizing that not everyone liked country music, I switched over to the station that played a little bit of everything.
“Are we early?” Autumn asked with concern. I shook my head.
“No not at all.” I replied. “I just need to get dressed.” I was just wearing sweats and a plain T-shirt. I went up to my room and quickly rummaged through my closet. I decided on a pair of skinny jeans and plain white shirt with a light grey cardigan. I fixed my hair and makeup and did a quick sprits of With Love, before continuing downstairs. I noticed that more guests had arrived, including Colton and Maggie. I did the hostess thing and greeted everyone who came by. Jamie and Alex set up the snack table and I turned up the music a bit more and dimmed the lights. Mika flanked by me, no doubt waiting for Drew’s anticipated appearance. I noticed Mika had gussied herself up more than usual. She was wearing a pink low cut shirt and some very tight skinny jeans. Her makeup was done perfectly, but more than I was used to on her. Colton must have noticed this too when he sauntered over.
“You sure are dressed up Miks,” he noted. She nodded, trying not to meet his eyes. “Hot date?” he questioned. She shook her head. Maggie came over and looped her arm through his.
“Colton, leave the poor girl alone, it’s a party, she’s entitled to dress up a bit.” Maggie said. “You look gorgeous by the way.” She added. Mika thanked her and we quickly left into the kitchen.
“Why does he always do that?” She complained.
“Because you’re the baby and he’s trying to protect you.” I replied. She waved this off.
“That’s dad’s job, not his.” She groaned. “I need a drink.” She added. Alex, sitting on the counter behind us, decided to chime in.
“I have girl beer in the mini fridge up in my room.” She said. Both Mika and I gave her an incredulous look. “What? I’m a teenager.”
“How did you get it?” I asked curious.
“A girl never reveals her sources.” Alex said evasively. We left her and went up to her room. Mika lifted up Alex’s large comforter to reveal her mini fridge. She opened it to expose two six packs of girl beer. Mika grabbed two and went to hand one to me, this time I took it. We used Alex’s bottle opener and went downstairs.
“Don’t let Colton catch you with that.” I whispered as we hit the foyer. She nodded and went down the hall. I stayed in the living room. People had started dancing now. I sat down on the couch and watched. At ten till eleven, Drew and Dwight arrived. I took a sip of my girl beer and went to say hello.
“Jorden what is that?” Drew questioned. I turned the label towards me to read it.
“It appears to be Mike’s Hard Lemonade, the black cherry kind.” I said laughing. He took the bottle from me.
“You don’t need this.” He said. I saw his eyes glaze over and turned around to see Mika had entered the room. He took a long drink of the girl beer. “I do.” He said after he finished. I decided to walk back to Mika to see how she was doing.
“You see him?” I asked as I approached. She nodded and took another sip of her drink. I looked over and saw Rory dancing with Avery; I wasn’t sure why but seeing them together gave me a queasy feeling in my stomach. I took her girl beer out of her hands and took a drink; I felt like it was going to be a long night. I grabbed some snacks and mingled with the guests. I ended up losing Mika and spent a lot of the time by myself. Juliet and Jack were dancing, Luke and Aqua, Maggie and Colton, Caitlin and Seth, Skyler and Alex, Avery and Rory; I was the only one without someone. I sighed and decided to walk out back. I sat down on the back porch. Mollie came over and sniffed my legs. I pet her head and she laid down, her face in my lap. I head the glass door slide open behind me and saw Avery step out.
“What’s the party host doing hiding?” He asked, taking a seat beside me. He was sticking to his usual style; pair of jeans and a button down shirt opened. Tonight he was sporting a red one with a grey shirt underneath.
“Just taking a breather.” I replied. He nodded.
“Great party.” He said. I thanked him. He noticed the girl beer down by my feet. I had snagged it from Alex’s room before going out back. “Rough night?” he asked indicating the drink. I shrugged.
“I’ve had rougher.” I replied, taking a sip of my drink.
“Well, what’s wrong?” He asked. I didn’t really want to explain my petty problems to him; they really weren’t anything to be upset over. I shrugged and took another sip. Once I set it down, he picked it up and dumped it out. He stood up and reached his hand out to me.
“Jorden Connelly, would you do me the honor and dance with me?” I gave him an incredulous look. But in the end I agreed. We were still dancing when midnight hit, and that’s when he kissed the top of my head. I never found Mika.



The next day, Mika was passed out on my bed. I still hadn’t been able to ask her where she disappeared to last night. Alex came in with her hands on her hips.
“Mika went through an entire six pack of my girl beer, and half the other one.” She stated annoyed. He eyes darted to my bed where she was passed out. “Oh that girl is going to get the awakening of her life.” Alex said as she stormed out of my room. She returned a few moments later with an air horn.
“Alex what are you doing?” I asked cautiously. She smiled an evil smile and pressed down on the air horn. The sound reverberated around the walls of my room. Mika awoke with a jolt and spazzed off my bed. She hit the floor with an audible thud. Alex was cracking up. When Mika got up she was holding her head.
“Ugh, my head is pounding like a mother.” She groaned.
“Serves you right for downing my entire six pack plus some.”
“I had one of those.” I added. “By the way what happened to you last night Miks?” I asked turning towards her. I saw instant color rise to her cheeks.
“Oh god.” She said under breath. Alex handed her two Advil and one of those Frappachinos in the glass bottle. Mika tossed the pills back and downed it with half the cold coffee.
“Speak.” I commanded her. She sighed.
“Fine, but you have to promise not to judge me, I was slightly drunk.”
“Oh gossip.” Alex said coming to join us on my bed. Mika rolled her eyes and continued.
“So at first I was with Drew right?” She started out. We nodded and she continued. “Well I was with him, and well one thing led to another and we sort of kissed.” She admitted. We all gasped.
“Mika.” I scolded. She shook her head.
“That’s not even the worst of it.” She said shaking her head. “Anyways, so we were kissing and then Colton came in and caught us right? So we broke apart and he started yelling at Drew. Drew got mad and he left. Once he left I started yelling at Colton about being controlling and how he wasn’t my father. Well let’s just say it got worse from there and he left. I ran out back balling my eyes out when I ran into Mike.” I raised my eyebrow at her at this point. What did Mike have to do with this story? “Let me finish, you’ll see.” She said. Her face looked ashamed now. “Anyways, him and Alexis had a fight I guess and she ended up leaving. The way they left things was that they were broken up, so it really wasn’t that bad.” I sort of knew where this story was going by now, but I waited anyways for her to finish. “So…. Mikey and I… well we kind of made out.” She finished. I was expecting this, but Alex on the other hand, was not.
“Holy shit Mika!” She exclaimed. Mika shushed her.
“It’s not like I planned it! You shouldn’t be allowed to converse with the opposite sex when intoxicated!” She yelled in defense.
“Maybe you shouldn’t be such a lightweight.” Alex countered. Mika made a face at her.
            “Mika this is kind of huge.” I said after a moment. I watched as her face fell.
            “But it doesn’t have to be. I mean it was just a kiss.”
            “Yeah but it was a kiss with your first love when he was momentarily broken up from his significant other.” Alex pointed out.
            “Oh hush. Knowing Mikey, Alexis will never know.” Mika said. This was a good point; Mike didn’t tell people about his personal life all that often; this does include mistakes he has made, although Mikey is a guy with morals, so who knows.
            “Does Drew know?” I asked slowly. She shook her head.
            “After the way Colton yelled at him I’d be surprised if he even wanted to talk to me again. Oh Jorden, I’m so mortified. Why does Colton have to be such a douche about dating?”
            “Because he loves and cares about you. I’m sure after the way that Tyler treated me that Mike will be the same way next time I get a boyfriend.” I said trying to reassure her.
“What when you date Avery? Yeah right, everyone with half a brain approves of that boy.” Mika said.
“I’m not dating Avery.” I stated. Alex laughed.
“Yeah not now, but you will. That boy has it bad for you.” Alex said. I scoffed.
“Yeah even if that were true the feeling isn’t mutual.” I explained. “He’s so arrogant. I’m fairly sure his main goal in life is to annoy me.”
“Whatever you say Jordy.” Mika said.



We practiced every night until Saturday. I was feeling nervous about the outfit I picked out and performing in front of everyone. I was standing in the dressing room with Mika, who had come for moral support. Avery and Rory were setting up the stage; we were on next.
“Babe you look great, you sound great; you can do this. I know you can. If anyone could it would be you.” She said earnestly. I was scared I was going to hyperventilate. I took a few calming breaths and leaned against the wall. There was a tentative knock at the door.
“Jorden, we’re on in five. Can you please come out?” Avery asked. I ran over to Mika.
“Mika I can’t do this. I’m going to pass out, I look like a whore, I can’t breathe.” Mika steadied me by my shoulders.
“Jorden, stop. Go out there.” She gave my back a nudge and pushed me out the door. Avery caught me and took in my appearance. I was wearing a simple back dress. The neckline was a v neck and stopped just above my breasts, I paired this with the necklace Mika had made me. My hair was curled, except for my bangs, which swooped over my left eye. My makeup was just eye liner, mascara and glittery shadow.
“Jorden, you are breathtaking.” He said suddenly. I took in his expression, which was in awe. In that second it was like he forgot everything. I must have to because I found myself staring at him. He was wearing slacks and a blue and white striped button up shirt, which he had tucked in to his black slacks. He cleared his throat.
“We gotta get on stage,” He glanced down at his watch. “Now.” He grabbed my hand and together we ran to the stage. Rory was standing there in a cute dark red dress, her hair was pulled to the side. I saw Autumn on stage with the microphone in front of her face.
“Next up we have Jorden Connelly, Avery Roberts and Rory Jensen.” The audience clapped and then we went onto the stage. My heart was pounding like crazy; I took a deep breath and followed them to the stage. I walked right to the front; the spotlight was so bright it blocked everyone else from my sight.  I looked over at Avery and he gave me a look that said I could do this. I cued them to start playing, picked up the microphone and began to sing.
“All this time I was wasting hoping you would come around. I've been giving out chances every time and all you do is let me down. And it's taken me this long baby, but I figured you out. And you're thinking we'll be fine again but not this time around.”  I looked out into the audience and saw two people get up. Even from a distance I knew it was Tyler; and he was leaving. “You don't have to call anymore; I won't pick up the phone. This is the last straw, don't wanna hurt anymore. And you can tell me that you're sorry but I don't believe you baby
like I did before, you're not sorry, no, no, no, no.” I could tell people were interested, but I didn’t care. Me singing this for everyone was my way of letting it go. Tyler was still trying to leave the auditorium, but people weren’t moving for him.
“Looking so innocent I might believe you if I didn't know,” Hearing the rumors about him and Natalie flashed into my brain; the baby bump, his arm around her waist. “Could've loved you all my life if you hadn't left me waiting in the cold.” His constant disappearing; I would always find him with her. “And you got your share of secrets and I'm tired of being last to know, oh, and now you're asking me to listen ‘cause it's worked each time before.” Just that one scene flashed into my brain; standing on the porch, him so close to me, telling me to please listen.
I broke back into the chorus again and really put all my feelings into it. I glanced back and saw both Avery and Rory really getting into their parts. It was coming on to the last line of the song; the one I really wanted to stick. Tyler had finally managed his way out of his row and was passing right by the stage. He stopped and looked up at me; I locked my eyes with his and sang right to him the last line. His face was turning red; he understood that this song was for him.
“You're not sorry, no, no, oh, no, oh, no, oh, no oh, Whoa, no, no.” I fell to my knees and the auditorium erupted into applause. I felt a single tear run down my cheek at the pure bliss that it was over; I was moving on, finally.


Backstage I was elated; I couldn’t help but smile. I ran over and hugged both Rory and Avery.
“You guys I can’t believe it! We did it!” I said jumping up and down. Mika ran over and hugged me.
“Oh my god, Jorden that was amazing!” She yelled. She quickly turned to Rory and Avery. “You guys were amazing too!” She added. They smiled and thanked her.
“So how much longer until they announce the winner?” Rory asked.
“Do they even announce winners at talent shows?” I asked suddenly. I hadn’t really thought about what came after performing.
“Yeah Autumn said something about cheers at the end for a vote. If so the winners have to go onstage for an encore.” He explained.
“Encore?” I asked unsure.
“Don’t worry about it, Rory and I have this planned.” He said.
“Mind cluing me in?” His response was a smile.
“We’ll see.” He said. We sat down and waited while the last three acts performed. They were all pretty good, but I didn’t feel like the crowd responded to them like they did us. I waited until the third act finished before my nervous feeling returned. I heard Autumn’s familiar voice.
“How was that show for you guys?” She asked. The crowd cheered in response. “Can I get all the acts back on stage?” She called. We all went and back onstage and I was again overwhelmed by the spot light and the fear of being back on stage.
“Audience, you know what to do, you like ‘em, cheer!” She said. She named off the acts in order, when she got to us I flinched, expecting silence. The crowd went wild; there was foot stomping, whistling and a whole lot of clapping. I smiled in relief while Autumn read off the last three acts. “Well folks we have a clear winner, let’s give it up for Jorden, Avery and Rory!” I felt my jaw drop. We really did it. Avery and Rory embraced me in a hug. We walked over to Autumn who was holding out the trophy for us. Avery took it and handed it to me.
“You did it.” He whispered. I heard the audience chanting “Encore, encore, encore.” I tensed up and Avery noticed. “You’ll know exactly what to do once the music starts.” He said, I nodded and numbly walked over to grab the microphone. The other acts cleared the stage and the lights adjusted. I took in a breath and then I heard the song start. It was the same intro I heard every time I was feeling frustrated with Tyler.
“Once upon a time, I believe it was a Tuesday when I caught your eye. We caught on to something, I hold on to the night, you looked me in the eyes and told me you loved me. Were you just kidding? ‘Cause it seems to me, this thing is breaking down we almost never speak; I don’t feel welcome anymore. Baby what happened please tell me ‘cause one second it was perfect, now you’re halfway out the door.” I started out singing. It was “Forever and Always”; the song I could always relate to. The way I saw it, this song was broken into three parts. The first part was confusion, the second depression and the third was anger. During my previous relationship I had gone through the first two, but not anymore.
The crowd went crazy; I was honestly surprised that so many people knew this song. Once the chorus hit, everyone was singing along. The end of the song was coming and it was my favorite part, the part I was feeling right now; part three.
“Oh, and it rains in your bedroom, everything is wrong. It rains when you're here and it rains when you're gone, 'Cause I was there when you said forever and always, you didn’t mean it baby. I don’t think so, Oh, oh!” It was the guitar solo part and Avery was rocking out. I was amazed by how amazing he sounded.  “Oh, back up, baby, back up, did you forget everything? Back up, baby, back up, did you forget everything?” I looked back at just the right moment when Avery swiftly indicated for me to look up into the rafters. There I saw two guys holding a hose with a spray attachment. He was going to make it rain; just like in the “Should’ve Said No” video. I braced myself and sang the next line.
“And it rains in your bedroom, everything is wrong, it rains when you’re here and it rains when you’re gone.” The water gushed from the ceiling; but I was ready for it. I embraced it and sang with more power. Once the song was over I bowed my head and the crowd went wild. The lights dimmed and we ran off the stage. The crowd was going crazy. I faintly heard Autumn’s voice saying that the show was over and she thanked everyone who showed up. I was in a spiral of ecstasy; I hadn’t been this happy in over a month. I ran over and hugged Avery and Rory.
“I can’t believe it, we did it! We actually did it.” I cheered. Mika ran over and joined the group huddle.
“Oh my god!” she yelled. “You guys were so great!” My mom came back and gave her congratulations. She gave me a hair dryer and a new dress to put on.
“Go out and celebrate honey; you deserve it.” She told me. I thanked her and went to change. My mom had brought me a pale pink dress that bunched together at the bottom. I was fixing my makeup when there was a tentative knock at the door; Avery. I opened it and saw him standing there. He smiled when he saw me and his eyes widened.
“Jorden you look lovely.” He cleared his throat again. “I was just uhh… wondering if you would care to go out to dinner with us, followed by an after party at Aqua’s.” He asked. I smiled. Just two months ago dinner with Avery seemed like the worst thing, now the idea sounded almost fun.
“Sure, that sounds great.” I said grabbing my bag and following him out.

We went out to eat at Shari’s. We were in a large round booth at a window and I was squeezed between Mika and Rory, Avery was sitting across from me. I glanced down at the menu and decided on a club sandwich and an Arnold Palmer. I didn’t usually feel this nervous when I went out with friends; it must have been post-performance or something. When the food arrived I merely nibbled at it. We talked during the meal; mainly about the show. As we were leaving Avery paid the bill. We all got into our assorted cars and headed over to Aqua’s mansion.
Inside, I was having flashbacks to the night at Jason Randall’s, minus the pot. But there was alcohol, and a lot of it. It was mainly champagne I noticed, but one could occasionally spot vodka. I heard Avery sigh.
“She would.” Was all he said. A slightly drunk Aqua came stumbling over to me in five inch high heels.
“Hey sweet thang! Grab a drink, let lose.” She said. I smiled at her. I looked over and saw Mika sitting on the couch. I excused myself from Aqua and squeezed myself between dancing groups. I plopped down on the couch next to Mika, who seemed to be upset.
“What’s wrong babe?” I asked. “Not drinking?” She shook her head.
“No, I don’t want to make any more mistakes.” She gestured over to where Alexis and Mike were dancing; they were obviously back together.
“Good plan.” I told her. I had a constant stream of people congratulating me on my performance; I was more than a little embarrassing. Aqua’s parties always had more guest than Jason’s and she often lost track on who showed up; so it shouldn’t have surprised me when I saw Tyler and Natalie stroll in at 11:30. I felt my heart drop into my stomach and the panic rise up into my throat; I was not expecting this. I quickly got up and went into the kitchen; it had looked like they were headed to the other living room. I poured myself a glass of punch and took a sip; it was spiked. At that point I didn’t care anymore. I down the drink and poured myself another one; I was starting to relax some. I topped off my last cup and decided to wonder. I stumbled over to the far end of Aqua’s house and ran into someone; literally. I looked up, expecting to see Avery and was shocked when I saw Jason Randall himself. I stumbled backwards and he steadied my shoulders.
“Whoa, careful there Jorden.” He said. My vision was starting to get fuzzy around the edges and I laughed at his remark. I saw a small smile rise to his face. “Hey you want to play a game?” He asked. I nodded, unsure of what I was really agreeing to. “Okay so the game is quarters,” he explained. I nodded and took a sip of the drink he had gotten me. It wasn’t the spiked punch, but I was pretty sure it was still alcoholic. I nodded and he continued playing the game. I played a couple rounds with him and I lost almost every round; I was not as good of a drunk as Alex. Before I knew it I saw Tyler enter the room. I tried to get up and leave, but I stood up too quickly and all the blood rushed to my head. I fell backwards and smacked my head on the table. Tyler came running over and helped me up.
“Shit, Jorden are you okay?” He asked urgently. I tried to shove away from him but it was no use; he was too strong. I sighed in defeat and fell onto his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around me and stroked my hair. “Oh Jorden.” He whispered. He pulled me back into his view and moved my hair away from my face. “I’ve missed you so much.” He said in a low rough voice. He caressed my cheek and looked directly into my eyes. I heard a door slam open and heard a familiar voice.
“Get away from her.” He demanded. Tyler hugged me closer.
“Get lost, this doesn’t affect you.” Tyler sneered. I felt Tyler’s face get close to mine and braced myself for what was coming next. I knew I couldn’t stop it. All of a sudden a felt warm, strong arms beneath me. He set me down on the couch and must have turned to face Tyler.
“I said get the fuck away from her.” He snarled. I heard contact; bone on bone. I heard more yelling, but I couldn’t keep myself awake. I felt myself drift into the unknown. The last thing I remember is the same strong arms and the smell of Old Spice….

No comments:

Post a Comment