Monday, May 2, 2011

Jorden - Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Finally it was October 31, Halloween. At school we were supposed to wear our costumes and compete for prizes of some kind. I was doing it just because I was really proud of my costume and made it, with the help of Seth, instead of buying it. I opened the last drawer to my dresser and pulled out the red cape I had made, my blue tights, my blue underarmor shirt, and some red bathing suit bottoms. On my blue underarmor shirt I had sewn on the Superman symbol and it looked really good. After I jumped into the shower I put on my outfit, saving the cape for last. I left my long, blonde hair down and threw in some volumizing stuff for the effect that I had been flying. I did my makeup and put on a little more eyeliner than usual.  I tied on my cape and slid on my mom’s red high heeled boots. I sprayed myself with glitter and took a quick look in the mirror. I thought I looked a lot like Supergirl. Satisfied with myself, I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs.
In the kitchen I found Alex with red hair and intensely bright make up, luckily this suited her well. It was obvious she was Haley Williams. Then I saw Jamie walk into the room and all she had on was a black dress and mouse ears.      
“Jamie what are you suppose to be?” I asked confused.
“I’m a mouse, duh.” She pointed to the mouse ears on her head. I gave her a weird look and she started laughing.
“I’m Karen from Mean Girls,” She told me laughing. “I was watching it last night and thought it would be fun. Don’t worry I have shorts on under this dress.” She lifted up her dress to show me when Mike walked in.           
“Oh god! I didn’t need to see that!” He exclaimed covering his eyes while he continued walking towards the fridge.
“Calm down, I’m wearing shorts,” She showed him and rolled her eyes. “What are you anyways?” She asked looking him over. He didn’t look that different, except his hair was lighter and he was wearing more Volcom then usual. He was also wearing a forwards hat.
“I’m teen heartthrob Ryan Sheckler.” He shrugged and smiled grabbing a Red Bull from the fridge. I gave him a disgusted look and walked away. Alex threw an apple at him and started to tell him something I couldn’t hear. I had to head out and meet Mika and Juliet at Mika’s house so we could enter the school together. When I got to Mika’s, Seth opened the door in black slacks, a white shirt half unbuttoned and his superman shirt under it. He had on thick rimmed glasses and his hair was slicked down.
“Why hello Clark,” I said sarcastically.  “You look nice today.” I laughed.          
“Kara, I mean Supergirl,” He laughed. “Lois is upstairs putting on the final touches. Princess Diana isn’t here yet.” He moved so I could walk inside.
“Thanks Mr. Kent.” I went upstairs to Mika’s room and found her sitting in front of her mirror doing her makeup. She was wearing a sweater and jeans, her hair was up and she had glasses sitting on the desk in front of her. She did remind me a lot of Lois. She saw me in the mirror and spun around in her chair.
“Ohmygosh! You look amazing!” She exclaimed running over to hug me. “I really thought you were Supergirl.”
“Well you really look like Lois, seriously. This was an amazing idea. When should Letty be here?” I looked around making sure she wasn’t already.
“Soon. She texted me a few minutes before you got here.” She walked over to the mirror and finished up her makeup. I stood there watching for a bit when I heard a squeal behind me. I whipped around to find Wonder Woman running towards me.
            “Jordy you look great!” She hugged me and stepped back to take another look at me. She honestly looked really impressed; obviously she didn’t look in the mirror before she left. She was the spitting image of Wonder Woman right down to the dark, curly hair. She was still tan from summer, which made her look exotic like her. She even had the bracelets and the lasso of truth. She ran over to Mika and hugged her.
            “You look amazing Lois.” She smiled and hugged her.
            “Thanks you guys. I think I’m ready. Let’s go dominate the contest.” Mika got up, pushed in her chair and grabbed her bag. We followed her downstairs and got an immediate response from her brothers.
            “Damn Jorden, Letty you look hot!” Clinton complimented us from the kitchen table. It looked like he dropped his toast. Juliet blushed and looked away.
            “Ha thanks Clint.” I laughed.
            “Stop drooling boys, she’s taken and Juliet just has taste.” Mika said as she walked over and grabbed an apple from the bowl. Clinton looked offended, but Juliet just laughed. We walked out the door and were greeted by Aqua’s silver Chevy Malibu idling in front of Mika’s house. When I took a closer look, I noticed it wasn’t the usual stunning blonde driving, but an equally stunning red head.
            “What are you suppose to be?” Mika asked taking a bite of her apple.
            “An average teenager instead of a model,” Aqua said with a laugh. “You can call me Violet. I thought I’d stick with the color theme.” We laughed as we got in her car. She drove a little faster than usual and I then realized why. We had stopped at the Dutch Bros near our school.
            “Guys want anything? My treat.” Aqua offered pulling her wallet out of her purse, followed by her debit card.
            “You’re an addict.” I said. She must make a coffee stop everyday. She thought about it, smiled then said. “Yeah, pretty much. You getting anything?” We gave her our orders and she paid. Then we drove off to school.
            When we got to school we got just the reaction I was hoping for. Everyone was giving us compliments. Aqua was upset that people still knew who she was, but you couldn’t really hide when you were the most famous girl in school.
            In class, everyone kept calling me Supergirl, including the teachers. Tyler walked over to me and said I looked great. He did too; he had dressed up as a football player for the Cowboys. I think he thought this would please me since I listened to so much country music.
            At lunch, I scoped the cafeteria to see what my competition was and that’s when I saw Avery. He was dressed up as an actual cowboy; the kind I actually liked. Damn did he look good. He had on a felt hat with a feather on the side and was wearing a light blue plaid shirt tucked into his wranglers. He had on a belt with a big buckle that I couldn’t make out from the distance and he was wearing some black boots. After a second I realized I was staring and had to look away. I looked at Mika and she was staring at him too.
            “I want a cowboy for Christmas.” She said while in complete awe.
            “Eww, Mika that’s Avery.” I exclaimed, trying not to think about the fact that I had been thinking the same thing seconds before she said it.
            “Still, he looks damn good. Oh boy, he’s coming this way.”She said. I blushed and I had no idea why. I was really glad Tyler was nowhere near me. I tried to calm down before I turned around. He was standing there. He took off his hat and bowed to us.
            “Ladies,” he greeted. He put his hat back on. “How is your Halloween so far?” He was looking at me but Mika answered first.
            “Great. Everyone knows who we are.” She was smiling. Why was she smiling around him? I realized that he was waiting for my answer as well. I had just completely blanked on what I was going to say. Were his eyes always that blue?
            “Uhh…” I stammered. “Super?” I shrugged and he smiled. Again I noticed how nice of a smile he had. It was his lopsided smile that showed his teeth. He had very nice, white teeth. I wonder if he had had braces. No I wasn’t supposed to have these thoughts. I had a boyfriend; Tyler. I turned to look for him but I didn’t know where he was.
            At lunch we were greeted by Jack, although he look different somehow, like more formal, but somehow familiar.
            “Hey girls,” He waved. “Is this seat taken?” He gestured to the one by Mika and then his eyes fell on to Juliet in her Wonder Woman outfit. She wasn’t paying attention since when he walked over here she blushed and immediately started to look out the window.
            “Uhh… no. What are you anyways?” My question made him blush and he took his eyes off Juliet to look at me.
            “Guess. Just to let you know I haven’t been bitten by radioactive spiders and it has nothing to do with kryptonite.” He said this with a smirk on his face. When he said this Juliet finally turned around to face him.
            “You’re Edward Cullen.” She stated. He smiled at this and now I understood why he looked so familiar.
            “Oh wow you really are.” I looked him over again, he didn’t put in caramel contacts but his light brown eyes did the job. He didn’t notice me looking though because he was busy looking at Letty again. He reached into his bag and placed something in front of Letty and then walked away. We all turned to look at her and she was blushing profusely.
            “What did he do?” Mika asked trying to peer over Letty’s arms.
            “Ohh… umm…” she stammered. Then she moved her arms and we stared awestruck at the little red apple sitting in front of her. Mika was speechless but she had a huge grin on her face. 
            “Is…  is that what I think it is?” I asked. Letty blushed and nodded.
            “It’s an apple,” She said. “Like in Twilight when Edward gives it to Bella.”
            “That’s cute! He’s saying that you are his Bella.” Mika gushed. Letty smiled and the blush turned a slightly deeper shade of red.
            After lunch, I met up with Shaina, who was dressed up as a cheerleader and we went to PE.  Since everyone was dressed up for Halloween it wasn’t necessary to dress down, we also started our weekly bowling. Ms. Green explained the rules to us then we walked down the street to the bowling alley. Once we got there we separated into groups of four. Shaina and I paired up with Avery and Vincent. I knew Shaina only wanted to be paired with them because of Vincent. He was a muscular junior and captain of the water polo team. He was very attractive and I was pretty sure he was going to ask her out any day now.
            “Shall we begin?” she asked holding up her orange 8 pound bowling ball.
            “We gotta put our names in first.” Vince informed us gesturing towards the machine by our bowling lane. He sat down and began setting it up. He put his name as “Fireman V” because he was dressed like a fireman. I think Gregg mentioned something about him training to be one soon. He turned to Shania then.
            “What do you want your name to be in here?”
            “Oh… I don’t know,” she was blushing. “You can pick.” He turned around and typed in “Shay-Shay”
            “What about you Jorden? You gotta have a nickname. It’s like bowling rules.” I laughed and tried to think.
            “I guess Supergirl works.” I said shrugging. He turned around to type it.
            “I’m not even going to ask you Av. I’m just making yours.” On the screen the name “Cowboy” appeared and Avery laughed. We began to bowl and we weren’t doing too terrible. We were all laughing and joking around... like we were friends. Avery went to go buy us drinks and he came back with four Rockstars in different flavors.
            “I got you the pomegranate one,” He said smiling at me as he handed it over. “You the diet one,” He handed it to Shaina. “You get the punched,” he tossed it to Vince. “and the regular is mine.” He said as he popped the top and took a gulp. I popped my open, twisted the tab and took a sip. How did he know this was my favorite Rockstar?
            When we finished the game I came in second right behind Avery, Vince got third and Shaina last. We recorded our scores and began walking back to the school. Shaina was talking to me about something, but I wasn’t really listening, all I kept thinking about was how was it that Avery could beat me in everything that we did?
            When I got to Advanced Algebra Ms. James was standing at the door holding a deck of cards; this meant we were getting new seats. I took my card and I had the three of hearts so I walked around the room looking for the match. I found my table it was in the front but towards the far wall. I sat down and waited for the rest of my group to arrive. I saw Cole enter the room he looked at his card and began searching the room. He walked over and glanced down at my table. He sat down right across from me and placed his card next to the three of spades.
            “Hey buddy.” He smiled and took out his notebook and began the warm-up on the board.
            “Hi Cole.” I returned his smile and continued to do my warm up. The next person that came to our table was a guy who was pretty tall and had black spiky hair. He was wearing a bright turquoise shirt that had a lightning bolt plus a sad cloud with an equal sign that had a happy storm cloud. He sat down next to Cole and pulled out his notebook but he didn’t begin the warm-up, instead he began to doodle. I disregarded this and continued to watch the door since I had finished my warm-up. A few more people came in and most of the tables were full now. Just as the bell rang a girl with dark brown hair came rushing in and took her card. I knew she would be sitting by me so I moved my stuff over. She looked at her card then at the only empty seat left in class and came to sit by me. Just as she sat down the guy across from her sat up straighter and actually started his warm-up. She started hers too and I continued to look around the room. Five minutes later the girl next to me had finished and she took out her Spanish homework. It appeared she was in Spanish 4. I was just watching her do it when someone broke the silence.
            “Hey Rory?” It was the guy next to Cole who spoke. He was looking at the girl next to me who I assumed was Rory.
            “Yes Reno?” She asked with an edge to her voice. It sounded like they knew each other pretty well. Her tone didn’t seem to faze him because he continued to whisper to her.
            “Did you want to be partners for Woods’ English project?” I knew Mr. Woods was the junior English teacher for the Arts school; I had heard Jamie tell me about him before. Apparently he was a really strict grader.
            “I was going to partner up with Serena instead.” She said with no real regret in her voice. This didn’t stop him though; he had a determined look on his face.
            “Come on. Serena can partner up with Joe or some other smart person.” Just as the girl Rory was going to reply to him, Ms. James called.
            “Mr. Bass it appears you are finished, how about the answer to number eight?” Reno blushed and looked down at his paper. After that he did not try to talk to Rory again. Ms. James handed each partner a paper that we had to finish before class was over. It turned out that Rory was really good at math too. She was actually a very nice person; she was just bitchy towards Reno.
            “I only don’t like him because he only talks to me to get a good grade.” She told me when Reno and Cole went to get a scientific calculator.
            “Yeah I know people like that. So you’re friends with Serena?” I asked.
            “Yeah she’s one of my best friends. Why?”
            “Because I know her too. That must mean you know Caitlin?”
            “Yeah, she’s my other best friend. How do you know her?” She asked me.
            “I’m best friends with her boyfriend’s sister. The guy sitting across from me is her boyfriends little brother.” I informed her.
            “That’s why he looked so familiar!” She exclaimed. I looked and saw Reno and Cole returning to our table so we stopped talking and finished our paper.
            After my class I walked to the front of the school and met Juliet and Mika. We were waiting for Aqua to come and pick us up. We saw her walk out of the building arm in arm with a baseball player I knew to be Luke. It was weird because Luke’s uniform looked really official from our school.
            “Nice outfit Luke.” Mika said with a grin on her face.
            “Yeah where did you get it?” Letty asked eyeing him suspiciously.  He blushed a little and didn’t look like he would reply.
            “It’s his. He got it for playing on the team. He’s a pitcher.” She said it with pride.
            “Oh wow I didn’t know you played. That’s really cool.” I said hoping to get him to not be embarrassed.
            “Yeah, I’ve played for years. My dad wanted me in a “real” sport, but I ended up having fun with it.” The way he said real made it obvious his dad didn’t count skating. We started walking towards Aqua’s car and piled in. It was a tight fit with Luke there, but we managed.
            She dropped of Mika first because she had a family thing and she dropped Juliet off with me. We went up to my room and closed my door so we could talk without being overheard. I guess you could call it a gossip session; we talked all about the new people in our classes and who they might go out with. But when the subject turned to Letty she was a little reluctant.
            “I think he likes you.” I started.
            “Who?” Letty asked. She wasn’t meeting my gaze so I was pretty sure she knew who I meant.
            “Jack. He couldn’t take his eyes off you once he saw you as Wonder Woman.”
            “He was talking to Mika, not me.” She said, still not meeting my gaze.
            “Then he looked at you. When he saw you I swear I saw him smile, plus he gave you the apple.” She finally turned and looked at me.
            “So? It was just an apple.” She said shrugging.
            “It was an apple from Edward Cullen, he was saying that you are his Bella. He likes you hun.” I know I’m right when I tell her this, but she still doesn’t seem to buy it.
            “If you say so,” She agreed, shrugging again. “So where was Tyler today?”
            “He had an ortho appointment at lunch, that’s probably why we didn’t see him.” I said still unsure, but Juliet seemed to believe it.
            “So Avery looked pretty good today.” She said this so nonchalantly that I had to laugh.
            “If you say so.” I managed to say while laughing.
            “I’m serious Jorden. You know he did, I saw you gaping at him. Admit it, you thought he looked good today; it’s not going to kill you.”
            “Why is this so important to you?” I asked as I calmed down from my laughing fit.
            “Because you want me to admit that I like Jack, which I have, so I think you should admit you thought Avery looked good, I thought he did.” Her cheeks went to a rosy pink and I knew I had no choice but to tell her.
            “Okay fine. He looked really good today. I’ve always had a soft spot for cowboys.” I smiled as I said this because I had never admitted it before.
            “Thank you.” Juliet smiled and I knew she wouldn’t bring up the subject of Avery for a while.

рог


            “Okay just one more you guys!” My dad called from behind his camera. He was taking pictures of all of us in our Halloween costumes before we went out trick or treating. We all struck another pose; Juliet and I made super poses, Mika made a pose that looked like she was contemplating something, Mike just stood there with his skateboard not looking at the camera, Jamie tried to fit her whole fist in her mouth, and Alex was in mid head bang. It was pretty great and I was pretty sure that picture would end up in our photo album. Mike finally looked in the direction of our dad.
            “Seriously dad, can we just go already?”
            “Oh alright. Have fun tonight kids and don’t forget...” But my dad was cut off.
            “To be home by midnight, we got it.” We all said together. I grabbed Mika and Letty’s arms and dragged them out the door.
            We had been trick or treating for about two hours and our bags were getting really full.
            “I say we drop it off at my house since Benji isn’t gonna be home tonight.” Juliet suggested as she picked up her candy bag for the fifth time.
            “I agree. If we take it to my house Dylan and Colton will eat it all and if we go back to your house Jorden your dad will take even more pictures.” Mika said looking at me again.
            “You’re right guys, let’s go.” Juliet led the way to her house.
            When we got there no one was home. She unlocked the door and we followed her inside.
            “My parents are at a Halloween party downtown with some friends from my dad’s work.” She informed us. We walked upstairs to her room and dropped our bags of candy on her plush white carpet.
            “Let’s sort it I wanna know what I got.” Mika suggested, already dumping her candy on the floor. We sorted and traded our candy and left them all in neat piles around Letty’s room.
            “Okay let’s head back out.” We all got our now lighter bags and left Letty’s house. We started going down all the neighborhoods that gave out the large goody bags and tried to get loaded up again. I looked down in my bag to try and see what I had gotten when I hit something rather solid and warm. I fell down onto the ground and found myself looking up into those familiar deep blue eyes.
            “Well Miss we have to stop meeting like this,” He joked. I blushed not knowing what to say to this. He reached his hand out to help me and I decided to take it this time. As he pulled me up I realized he was pretty strong. I was standing on my own now, but he hadn’t let go of my hand. I heard my name and whipped my head around and yanked my hand out of his. It was Tyler. He looked really unhappy and glared at Avery. He took one look at me, shook his head and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment