Monday, May 2, 2011

Jorden - Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            It was finally the first day of school. I hadn’t had a chance to ask Tyler about what Jamie saw, and with him being in Arts instead of IDEAS I didn’t have any classes with him. He said he had been busy getting ready for football and would make time for us to hang out when he got the chance.
I was sitting in first period Spanish when he walked in. He was wearing normal blue jeans, a red Volcom shirt and a blue striped button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up. He walked in and put his messenger bag on the desk that said “Avery Roberts”. I hadn’t noticed his name when I walked in and was glad my last name started with a C. He looked over at me; he had a grin on his face and waved. Luckily, at that same time Mika, Letty and Jack had walked in so I had an excuse not to look over at him. Jack sat nearest me with that last name Hastings, then Letty. Sadly Mika sat on the other side of the room. I didn’t have time to see anything else because that’s when Señora Murillo decided to start class. I forgot to practice my Spanish over the summer so I was lost for half the class.
After Spanish I walked down the halls searching for my photography class, it was way over on the other side of the school where all the Arts kids had classes. I found the class just as the bell rang and hurried to the seat with my nametag. I looked around for Autumn and my jaw dropped when I saw who she was sitting next to. Autumn Roberts, Avery Roberts, oh my gosh that was the cousin she was talking about not Talon or Luke. She saw that I had found her and smiled and waved. I forced a smile and waved back. Avery looked over and waved too, I waved back so I wouldn’t upset Autumn. Then Mr. Kelvin walked in and started off questioning us about photography terms. I sighed and leaned back in my seat, hoping he wouldn’t call on me for answers. He called on Avery and of course he answered correctly, he had done the same thing in Spanish.
            The rest of my classes were pretty boring, just usual first day stuff. By the time lunch came around I couldn’t wait to get there. I got in line and bought a turkey sandwich and a blue PowerAde. My mom hadn’t given me enough money to go out for lunch today, plus I didn’t have a ride. “Just a little over two months until I can get my license.” I thought to myself. I walked around and found Letty, Mika, Aqua and Luke sitting at a booth, Letty scooted over and I sat down. Mika and Letty immediately started talking about guys they found in our classes.
            “Did you see that cute guy? He was tan and had dark hair that kinda swept over his eye. I think he is a junior.” Mika said looking around the table as she took a bite of her pizza. I was surprised when I heard Aqua reply.
            “That must be Dalton,” We all turned to look at her and she look surprised “What?” She asked.  “He’s friends with Logan and my brother.” Logan appeared in a commercial with Aqua for some local clothing store. After that they became friends. The thing Aqua didn’t know was that right before Logan had done that commercial, he had been dating Mika, not that Mika was broadcasting that fact.
“Oh Logan? The cute blonde snowboarder?” Mika asked with a sly smile that only I would notice.
“That’s the one.” Aqua replied and Luke gave her a resentful look. After that we dropped the subject of cute guys. The rest of lunch we talked about more neutral subjects. I still couldn’t find Tyler; I guess I was going to have to find him after school sometime. I went to the gym and set my stuff down; it being the first day I knew I didn’t have to dress down. I looked around to see who I had P.E with and once again I saw him sitting down on the bleachers. It’s like he was stalking me. I didn’t look over at him, instead I saw Jack’s sister, Shaina walk in. At least I wasn’t alone.
            All I had left was math. Apparently, I was pretty good at it, but it was so boring. When I got into the class the only person I was friends with was Mika’s bother, Cole. Math was by far the downfall of my day.
After class I decided to walk back home since it wasn’t that far and Jamie had already left since she didn’t have a 5th. I had just left when he ran up to me.
            “Hey wait up.”  I turned around expecting to see Mike or someone, but not him.
            “Uhh… yeah?” I must have sounded rude but I was really starting to lose my patience with this guy; he had been flashing me that grin of his all damn day. plus it had been a long day and I was still peeved I hadn’t seen Tyler
            “I just wanted to thank you for coming to my party.” He looked sincere when he said this, but what kind of guy thanked someone he didn’t even know for showing up to his party that he didn’t even host?
            “No problem, Aqua wanted me to go since it was at her house, and you know, she’s my friend and everything.” I even sounded bitchy to myself, and that never happens.
            “Still, thanks. I guess I’ll see you around.” He waved and left. It was the first time since meeting him that I didn’t walk away first. I wasn’t sure what I had been expecting, but it sure wasn’t that. All during my walk home I kept thinking about how weird it was that he would even say that and how bad I felt for being a bitch to him. 
            I got home and walked straight up to my room. My parents had made a rule that we weren’t allowed to socialize with each other until our homework was done. This rule hadn’t come into effect until we started high school, where the grades really counted.  Luckily it being the first day all I had was to get things signed and to put my P.E clothes in my bag for tomorrow. I walked over to my computer and logged on to my Facebook, then my Pandora. I went to my usual radio station and “Realize” by Colbie Caillat was playing. On Facebook I checked to see who was on, which was no one really, so I updated my status to “Weird day...” and I logged out. I kept my Pandora playing and just sat there listening for a bit, then I went back downstairs to see whose day it was to make dinner. I walked to the fridge and checked the schedule; yep it was mine. I decided to keep it simple and made up some of my amazing Caesar dressing for chicken Caesar salad. I got out all my ingredients and mixed them in a decent sized bowl. I stuck that in the fridge then walked out back to get some fresh lettuce and spinach from the garden for the salad. I grabbed the basket that mom liked to bring fresh produce in and began selecting the best stuff from the garden. I also picked a few carrots, two nice tomatoes and some peas. I went back inside and washed everything up and began slicing the vegetables. I grabbed our biggest bowl, a large wooden one my parents had picked up on one of their trips, and began to rub the pressed garlic in it to add flavor. Then I cooked up some chicken and threw everything together. I also decided to make garlic bread to go with it.
 After I had finished up the salad Mike came down and helped set the table. Once mom and dad got home we had a nice family dinner. It was almost weird.
            This day was too weird for me so I decided I needed some familiarity, I grabbed my copy of Breaking Dawn and got under my blankets. I had read this book about 4 times since getting it that summer so I already knew my favorite parts. I flipped to part three and began to read it with my lights off and my flashlight in hand. I had just gotten to the part where Bella was just about to wake up when I heard my phone start ringing. I reached for it on my nightstand and forgot to check the caller id.
            “Hello?” I answered.
            “Hey babe it’s me.” Tyler’s voice reassured me from the other line. Oddly I didn’t feel the usual relief I felt when I heard his voice.
            “Hi honey. How are you?” I asked. I was almost upset that he called during my favorite book, but then again how would he know that I was reading it. Even though I read every night around this time so he should have known…
            “Great. We had an awesome workout today and I benched…” I stopped listening when he would brag about how much he could lift. Honestly I hated high school football and couldn’t stand when he would talk about it. I tried to read a bit while he was talking but was interrupted yet again by him.
            “Jorden? Babe did you hear me? I made varsity as a fullback!” He sounded really excited.
            “Aww that’s great Ty.” I told him halfheartedly, but I really didn’t think he noticed since he began talking about what this meant. I think I dozed off because I awoke at 11:00pm to Alex yelling from downstairs, something about how Mike is a filthy cheater. I looked at my phone and noticed that it was dead. I plugged it into its charger and tried to finish my chapter. After that I decided that I should probably go to bed. Dad said that his friend’s sons had to stay with us a couple days and I had to be well rested for when boys were around.
             I awoke the next morning to someone in my bathroom, this as a typical rule is not allowed so I banged loudly on the door. There was no answer so I banged even louder and there was still no answer. I turned the knob a bit and found that it wasn’t locked; I turned it and barged into my own bathroom. The first thing I noticed was that there was a guy in my shower, the next thing I noticed was that he was naked. I felt the blood rushing to my face and let out a shocked scream. He yelled and attempted to cover what I had already seen. I covered my eyes, threw him a towel and slammed the door on my way out. I started to walk down the hall as fast as I could and ended up running into my dad.
            “Hey sport I was just looking for you.” My dad greeted me.
            “Oh yeah?” I asked, eager to get away from what I had just seen.
            “Yeah I just wanted to let you know that Cooper and Andrew arrived this morning and I told Cooper he could use your bathroom since Andrew’s in the main one.” Oh sure now he tells me.          
            “Yeah? No kidding.” Then I continued walking down the hall to the stairs. I heard footsteps behind me and expected to see my dad behind me but I turn around to see who I assumed was Cooper. He was holding the towel around his waist.
            “Hey sorry about that, your dad said it would be fine as long as I was out by 7:00.” I noticed he was really pink in the face from our first meeting.
            “It’s okay.” I said trying not to meet his eyes.
            “I’m Cooper.” He said sticking out his hand that was not holding the towel.
            “Jorden.” I said taking his hand to shake it. His towel started to slip and I turned as fast as I could without being rude and walked down the stairs. I really didn’t want to see that thing again.
            When I got to the kitchen I saw a really tall guy with sandy brown hair eating an apple in my kitchen. He was actually really attractive, but in that jock way. What was it about jocks that I liked?
            “You must be Jorden. I’m Andrew and I will be your chauffeur this morning. I’m also talking my brother. Everyone left with your mom earlier.” Great, stuck in a car with that naked kid from my shower and his sarcastic brother.
“Okay sounds great.” I lied. I used the shower downstairs real quick and realized I left my clothes up in my room. I held the towel really close to my body and walked out of the bathroom and up to my room. I looked and noticed Cooper staring at me. I hurried to my room and didn’t look at either of the guys as I passed. When I came back down I was wearing my cut off shorts and my baby pink Etnies shirt.          
“Okay let’s go.” I urged them. I grabbed my backpack and walked out the door. Andrew followed me out the door and Cooper shrugged and followed him. Andrew’s car was a 1969 Camaro. I only knew this because my dad was a huge car enthusiast and tried to drill it into our brains, Mike was the only one who showed real interest.
            “Nice car.” I said as I hopped into the back seat.
            “Thanks. This is my baby. I worked on her for three years.” He said as he stroked his car. He got in the front seat and Cooper took the passenger seat.
            Andrew being a nice guy decided that a Starbucks run was necessary for school and bought us all one. I walked into the school feeling slightly more confident than yesterday, but I was almost late to class. As I walked in, Señora Murillo eyed my Frappachino cup.
            In photo we got our cameras and film. I went out to the courtyard and started taking some cool pictures with Autumn, Avery stayed with some guy he had became friends with in the class. When lunch came, Andrew had met me outside of Multicultural Studies and handed me a bag from Subway.           
            “Your mom said this is what you get there and asked if I would grab it for you.” He said as he handed me my drink too.
            “Thanks.” I said taking a sip of my drink which I now knew was iced tea.
            “Not a problem.” He said and then he walked away.
            I met up with Mika and Juliet at lunch. We chatted a bit and then Mika got a weird look on her face.
            “Why is that frosh staring at you Jordy?” She asked staring somewhere behind me. I turned around to see Cooper staring at me. He blushed and looked away when he saw me looking at him. I groaned.
            “That’s Cooper. He’s staying at my house for a couple days.” Then I got into the whole story from this morning.
            “How’d he look?” Mika asked still laughing.
            “Eww Mika that’s gross.” Juliet said putting down her sandwich.
            “We don’t talk about this. Ever.” I said looking as fierce as I could manage.
            “Just between us hun.” Mika said as she continued laughing.
            “Dylan naked.” Juliet said and Mika immediately stopped laughing.
            “That’s not even funny.” She said looking disgusted. Soon after that Tyler walked over.
            “What are you ladies talking about?” he asked as he slid into the space next to me and kissed my cheek as he wrapped his arm over my shoulder.
            “Just Jorden’s new roommates.” Mika said talking a sip of her smoothie.
            “What new roommates?” Tyler asked as he took a bite of my sandwich. I hated how he always thought that what was mine was his and he never had to ask.
            “Just my dad’s friend’s kids” I said nonchalantly.
            “Girls?” He asked. He almost sounded jealous.
            “No, guys.”
            “What guys?”
            “Andrew and Cooper.” I said pointing to where I saw Cooper sitting.
            “Just be careful.” He said as Mika and Letty burst into laughter. I ignored them and nodded as I took a long sip from my drink.
            At the end of the day Andrew took us back to my house and I went upstairs to start on the little amount of homework I had. Basically it was all brainstorming, so it didn’t take long to complete. I walked down to my living room to find Cooper sitting there with Avery and a guitar in his hand.
            “What are you doing in my house?” I asked shocked.
            “Cooper has guitar lessons with me every Tuesday starting now.” Avery informed me. Of course he plays guitar, and teaches weird frosh who stare at your boobs. I was surprised Mike hadn’t joined in on this lesson yet.
            “Oh boy.” I said as I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a Snapple tea and sat down at the counter. They both looked away from me and began strumming on their guitars. I looked down and saw that someone had gotten the mail and my edition of Sixteen magazine had arrived. It was the one with Aqua on the cover. A few months ago Aqua had done a shoot with Sixteen magazine she was wearing a long white dress and dancing in the rain with Luke. She even got a two page spread inside. It was her biggest accomplishment so far.  I was so excited that I almost spilled my Snapple. I yanked my cell phone out of my pocket and hit speed dial 5. It rang three times before she answered.
            “Hello?” She sounded distracted, she was probably with Luke.
            “It’s here.” I informed her. I knew she would understand. It took her a few seconds before she exclaimed.
            “Oh my God! No way! Like it’s on shelves now?” Aqua got hers awhile ago and they never told her when it would be released.
            “Yes. I just got mine in the mail. Come get your butt over here and sign it.” 
            “I will. Let us just get ready. We’ll hurry hun, don’t worry. We gotta go buy one!” She exclaimed. So she was with Luke. I didn’t know what she meant by getting ready and I probably didn’t want to.
            “See you soon.” Then I hung up the phone and started scanning through the magazine. I felt someone hovering by me and turned to see Cooper behind me.
            “She’s hot.” He said pointing to Aqua on the cover in her white dress and blonde hair flowing behind her.
            “Aquamarine Scott?” I asked trying to sound uncertain.
            “Yeah. She’s smoking hot. I saw her ad on TV.” He said staring at her boobs on the cover.
            “Oh I’m sure.” I said holding back a laugh.
            “I wish I could meet her. I’d go right up to her and kiss her.” This made me laugh so hard that I did spill my drink.
            “Damn,” I said grabbing a towel. “Well I hope you meet her then, I’d love to see that.” Then there was a knock at the door and I started laughing again.
            “Hey Coop can you grab the door? I’m a little busy here.” I said gesturing towards the puddle of Snapple on the counter.
            “Sure.” He ran his fingers through his hair and walked towards the door. He opened it and I saw his face turn beet red.
            “Uh hi. Is Jorden here?” I heard Aqua ask. Cooper couldn’t answer her and just pointed in my general direction. I heard her laugh and say thanks as she walked in. Aqua was 5’10” with long blonde hair and for the most part naturally tanned skin: All boys loved her. Cooper was still staring at her, but I noticed Avery was hardly paying attention to her. It was probably because she was his cousin’s girlfriend.
            “Luke said he wanted to wait for you so we could grab the magazine and then go out to celebrate,” She said as she grabbed a light teal Sharpie from her bag and signed the cover of my magazine. “Come on let’s go.” She urged as she dropped the Sharpie back in her bag.
            “Okay I’ll meet you out front in a sec, I gotta get my money.” She walked out the door and to her car. Cooper came rushing over to me.
            “You didn’t tell me you knew Aquamarine Scott!” He shrieked at me. I looked over at Avery who was trying not to laugh.
            “Oh you meant her?” I said “I thought you meant the other one.” At this Avery did laugh and Cooper whipped his head around to glare at him.
            “Dude, did you know about this?” He asked.
            “Yeah. She’s dating my cousin Luke.”  Cooper was about to say something but I cut him off.
            “I thought you were gonna kiss her if you ever met her.” I retorted. At that his face fell and I grabbed my money and went out the door to meet her.
            “Who was the frosh?” She asked as I got in her new silver Chevy Malibu.
            “Just Cooper, I think he was a little star stuck.” I laughed as I said this.
            “Of me? How weird.” She then started driving in the direction towards Red Robin, Luke’s new favorite place to eat out.
            “He’s not big is he? I may need to drop kick him.” Luke said this as he was cracking his knuckles which just made us crack up.
            During our celebration we ordered sparkling cider and Luke said a sweet toast for her: He really loved her. They are a very different kind of couple though. He’s a skater boy and she was a soon to be super model. But they were so cute together it almost made me sick. Both of them are tall and blonde with blue eyes; they’re like the picture perfect couple.
            When I returned to my house later that evening Avery was gone and I had no idea where the others were. I walked up to my room and found Andrew there.
            “What are you doing in here?” I asked annoyed. The rules in my house were to never go into anyone’s room without permission, and I sure as hell didn’t give him permission.
            “Door was open, thought you’d be here.” He said lamely shrugging his shoulders.
            “I’m here now. What do want?” He actually smiled when I said this which I found funny because I really meant it.
            “What would you do if I kissed you right here?” I was so caught off guard by this question that I had to sit down. I’ve never really had guys be so forward with me. For some reason in middle school everyone thought I was a slut even though I didn’t even kiss a guy until eighth grade.
            “I’d probably slap you and remind you I have a boyfriend.” I said without really thinking about it. I mean he was kind of cute, really tall, had nice eyes, not the kind of guy I would cheat on my boyfriend with. No one was.
            “Fair enough.” He said shrugging. I really didn’t get this guy.
            “That was really random.” I stated confused.
            “Maybe. I heard some stuff, I just wanted to disprove it.” He shrugged again.
            “What stuff?” I asked worried.
            “Just stuff I didn’t believe a pretty girl like you would do.” He said vaguely. 
I wasn’t really buying it. I was fairly sure I knew what he was talking about. But whatever, he was already leaving my room. He called me pretty. Tyler only called me pretty when I was dressed up, right now I was just wearing cut off shorts and the same baby pink shirt from this morning. Oh well, boys were confusing, and quite frankly they really made me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment